Chapter Fifteen: Familiar Faces and a Confession

@ZaynIsMyZenpai : I'm really loving this story so much! I hope you're getting as much love and praise as this book deserves! ♥️ Waiting on the next update, have a great day/night.♥️

Your comment was so sweet, it made my day. Thank you so much love! 

—•—•—•—•—
[Unedited]

The clock was nearing two in the morning when Zayn let out a deep sigh. He had spent the last two hours tossing and turning in hopes that he'd get at least an hour of sleep tonight. He had tried everything. 

Music.

Writing.

Netflix.

It was as if every source of outlet he had used to try to put him to sleep had stopped working. He got tired of music two songs in; he tried to write but he couldn't think of anything, his mind had been complete blank; he tried to watch Netflix but nothing caught his attention. 

He was stuck staring at the ceiling as he counted to dots and time ticked forward. 

This had become his usual routine.

He'd spent most of the night consumed by the thoughts that haunted him on a daily basis. The hours seem to fly by as he tried to get his mind to shut off. However, without fail, he couldn't seem to do so. He let out another deep sigh as he pushed the blankets off him and sat up. He stretched his aching limbs a bit as he climbed out of bed. He threw on a random sweater that was laying on his chair as he headed out of his bedroom door.

The stairs creaked beneath the weight of his feet as he quickly headed towards the front door. He stuffed his feet into his worn out shoes as he unlocked the door and walked out. The cold night air nipped at his exposed skin as he shivered slightly. He debated on retreating back into the house and crawling back into his warm bed. However, he waved that thought off and continued his journey towards the park. 

An unsettling feeling rested in the pit of his stomach as he walked through the deserted streets towards the park. He glanced over his shoulder as he felt as if someone had been following him since the moment he stepped out of his house. However, the sickening funny part was that if something were to happen to him; he wouldn't even bat an eye.

Zayn was at the point where he did not care what happened to him. If he were to live or die, he wouldn't care. The people around him seemed to not care and he lost the one person who cared the most.   

—•—•—•—•—

The mulch crunched underneath his feet as he walked through the playground towards the swings. The teen still felt a pair of eyes on him but he brushed it off as his mind was playing tricks on him. He shuffled the music on his Spotify playlist as the soft melody of Dean Lewis' Waves filled his ears and gave him a rush of serotonin for a mere second before it disappeared. 

Zayn didn't know how long he had been sat at the swing for until he was brought out his daze when he heard the bushes next to him rustle. He brushed it off as it was the wind picking up until he saw a silhouette in the distance. The teen tensed up once he noticed the figure starting to approach him. He struggled to get the a look at the figure's face as it was hard considering the stranger's face was hidden underneath their hood. 

Zayn's flight or fight instinct kicked in as he jumped to his feet and made a beeline towards the main road. The park was off to the side and it was hidden behind numerous trees. He cursed at the nature as he walked a fast-pace to the road. He knew the figure had followed in pursuit of him as he tried to refrain from looking over his shoulder. The teen knew if he took off running the stranger would run after him. He tried his best to keep his cool as he tried to reach the main road in hopes enough cars would be passing to frighten the stranger.