Chapter Thirteen: Only The Strongest Survive

@powerdanger143 : If this doesn't get zayns' family to notice him, nothing will. WHY EZRA, WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE TRICK NEEDS TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The passion for the book in your comment made my day haha x

—•—•—•—•—
[Unedited]

Two Weeks Later

Zayn wandered through the empty streets as his mind was clouded with unwanted thoughts. He looked down at his phone as it told him the time was nearing three in the morning.

Zayn felt empty.

He felt emotionless as he aimlessly walked down the road. He hadn't been to school in two weeks nor has he spoken to any of his friends or family. He knew his parents weren't wondering where he was nor was his friends. This had become the sad reality of his life and he had grown accustomed to it. 

However, he couldn't bring himself to face anyone since he lost the one person who mattered most to him.

Zayn began to venture off into the park as the quietness of the night brought an odd sense of calmness to him. He sat down at the park bench and looked out at the vast empty fields in front of him. The moonlight shining just bright enough for him to see the softness of the green that came off from the fields. 

 Zayn tore his gaze away from the fields as he pulled his phone out and unlocked it. He hit the app where his photos were stored and began scrolling through the undisclosed pictures of them. The tears danced in his eyes as the moonlight and the light of his phone reflected off of his eyes. He knew he was torturing himself by looking at the pictures but he just wished he could go back in time to when those photos were taken.

A time when was truly happy and everything seemed right in the world.

—•—•—•—•—

Ezra tossed and turned as he let a frustrated sigh pass through his lips. His laid on his back and stared up at the ceiling that was in a desperate need of a repaint. The rough patches and cracks in the ceiling looked as how Ezra felt.

He felt weary.

He felt anxious.

He felt exhausted.

Most of all, he felt defeated.

Ezra glanced over at the clock that was placed overhead his dresser and saw it was nearing three-thirty in the morning. He had to be up in nearly two hours for work but he couldn't bring himself to sleep. Every time he closed his eyes, a pair of golden-hazel ones would appear. The look of utter hurt and shattered hope dancing in the eyes he loved completely broke Ezra.

Ezra couldn't cope with the fact that he was the reason behind all the hurt and anger the owner of those golden-hazel eyes felt. He hated himself for doing the one thing he promised he'd never do.

Ezra sighed and picked up his phone off of the nightstand. He unlocked his phone; the bright light momentarily blinding him. He scrolled through his contacts list and stopped at the letter Z. A single name was in that area and it took everything in him not to call him.

He knew he hurt him and he couldn't risk hurting him even more by calling him.

Ezra shut his phone off and tossed it back onto the nightstand. He closed his eyes as his mind relived the event that took place merely two weeks ago.