Chapter Six: Brotherly Bonding

@mermaid1113 : Yay! I'm so glad! I usually fall on very bad fanfics or abandoned ones, but this one is neither! I am so thankful for having found this one! 

—•—•—•—•—

[Unedited]

1 Year Ago

Zayn ran as fast as his legs could carry him. He heard the shouts behind him, protesting for him to stop. However, he didn't stop. He couldn't. 

Zayn could feel the blood trickle down the side of his face, splattering onto his tattered gray shirt.

"Zayn!" the disembodied voice yelled out.

Zayn didn't bother stopping. He continued running.

He felt his head pound against his skull, more blood seeming to seep from the wound. His gray shirt decorated with his blood.

He could feel the burning sensation begin in his lungs.

He felt his legs begin to ache.

However, he couldn't stop. He had to keep going. This was his only hope, his only chance to get away. This was his one chance at freedom.

"Zayn!" the voice yelled again, each time getting further and further away.

The teen shot awake, sweat dripping down the sides of his face, his body trembling with fear. He leaned against the headboard of his bed, bringing his legs up to his chest. His breathing began to become dangerously uneven as the nightmare repeated in his head, it causing him to grow anxious.

"It was just a dream," he muttered over and over again, his brain not seeming to process that bit of information.

He tried to calm himself down, him trying everything from counting slowly to trying to remember a happier memory, but everything failed. His hands shook wildly as he got out of bed and went towards nightstand. With shaky hands, he pulled open the drawer connected to his nightstand and rummaged through his things before he finally found what he needed. He momentarily felt relived as his hand hit the small carton of cigarettes, the small addictive sticks bringing him a rush of happiness.

Zayn pulled one out, grabbing his lighter and lit the tip. He walked over to the windows, pushing them open to let in some air. He inhaled the addictive substance a bit before exhaling. A cloud of smoke surrounding him for a mere few seconds before vanishing. He began to feel calmer with each hit. He hated the way he resorted to smoking when things went awry but at the same time he could care less. If it killed him, then it killed him. Zayn wasn't afraid of dying, there a few instances where he wished death would consume him. 

Before Zayn had the opportunity to get rid of the cigarette and all evidence of him ever smoking, the door to his bedroom opened. Zayn let out a startled scream, his heart beating wildly against his chest. He began to panic when he realized that he was about to get caught.

"You smoke?" he heard Louis' voice fill the room. The teen was somewhat relived that it wasn't either Liam or Niall who came into the room. He was still worried that Louis would tell them that he was smoking.

"Uh, yeah. It calms me down," Zayn admitted, biting his bottom lip.

"Cool. I smoke as well but outside of this house," Louis smirked, feeling proud that he found a common interest with his foster brother, even it was not a great or healthy interest. It was still a common interest nevertheless.