Chapter Two: Stressful Nights and New School

@zayn_lover39 : I'm already in-love with this book ❤️

—•—•—•—•—

[Unedited]

1 Year Ago

Zayn was in a desperate need of a smoke. His hands shook uncontrollably has he recklessly opened his suitcase up. He threw out his clothes, not caring where they ended up. He just needed his cigarettes. He kept them hidden in a little pocket that was built into his suitcase just in case anyone went through his things. 

Finally after rummaging through his things, he found them. He pulled out the box and flipped the top open, only a few sticks left. He knew he would be needing more soon. But in this moment he didn't care about that, he took one out, closing the lid, and throwing it on his bed. He walked over to the window and pushed it open. Zayn lifted the cigarette up to his mouth and lit the tip. He inhaled deeply, letting the addicting substance fill his lungs. He exhaled, making sure the smoke went out the window. A couple more hits, Zayn felt himself becoming more and more relaxed. 

It was nearing 3 o'clock in the morning and Zayn had one of his usual nightmares, this one being one of the worst he's had in a long time. 

Zayn ran a hand through his hair, sighing. He knew it was no use going back to bed, knowing another nightmare would occur. The nightmares would come every so often, each time being a different one, but always having the same ending. They didn't start until he was 6, when everything really hit him. His parents and sister were gone, dead. The night before his 7th birthday, they started. The past events haunted him, no matter how hard he tried to forget them, they always found a way to creep back into his mind some way. And when they did, Zayn shuts down. 

Zayn threw the rest of cigarette out the window, leaving it open, he headed back into bed. He decided staying in bed until Liam or Niall came and woke him up. But slowly an hour and a half later, Zayn felt his eyes fluttering close and darkness surrounding him. 

It was 8 o'clock in the morning when Liam came into Zayn's room, only to see him a wreck. The blankets were on the floor along with a pillow. Liam inched closer to the bed soon to realize Zayn's body trembling, covered in sweat. The brown eyed man panicked, bent down and gently shook Zayn away.

"Hey, hey. Bud," Liam gently whispered, careful not to startle the boy awake. But he had no such luck as Zayn bolted awake, his body trembling. Liam reached out to pull his son into his arms which resulted in Zayn backing up against the headboard, his knees pressing against his chest.

"Hey, it's just me. It's alright, love. I'm right here," Liam softly said, comfort and worry lacing in his voice. Zayn took a few shaky breaths, his hair sticking to his forehead due to all the sweat. The two sat there for a moment, Zayn trying to control his breathing and Liam whispering comforting words to him to help calm him down. 

"I'm fine," Zayn muttered, once he finally calmed down and his breathing returned to normal.

"You don't look like it. We can talk if you want. I'm right here for you," Liam said, wanting the boy to open up to him.

"I said I'm fine," Zayn said through gritted teeth, clenching his fists. He was starting to get irritated by the man. Liam noticed that he was getting angry, so he left it. He knew it would take awhile before Zayn started trusting him, but no matter what he was determined to make it happen one day. Liam isn't one to give up easily, especially on things that mattered greatly to him.