Chapter 32

Erica Stokes:

UN Research Center 7

I stand on the Island, awaiting the arrival of Jason. I know he will arrive, it is only a matter of minutes.

My biggest fear is that Jason will do something stupid and get caught. I could always avert my own demise, however, it would lose me a lot of valuable information. I only have a couple days to spare, if that. I know the children will be free, I have ensured it.

The sky is grey, and the sun has almost fully set. It will be completely dark soon. Hopefully the children will make it here in time. I'm hoping that DOVE has successfully convinced them all to come. After my meeting here, I will depart this Island. I already have the ticket and the notice of relocation. An approaching figure distracts my thoughts.

The figure is shrouded in complete darkness, as if the shadows bend around him. I remember this child. He was an almost successful experiment on Island five a few months back. The fact that he is here is not a good sign. When he begins to speak, I am surprised by how deep his voice is.

"What you are attempting to do is hopeless. You can't save these children. If you were to succeed in this plan, chaos will spread across the world." He pauses briefly. I'm about to counter, but he holds up a hand to stop me. "I don't have long to speak with you, Dove's power is very strong on this Island. Dove intends on killing you, or controlling you. You must escape now. You must wait until the time is right before you help these kids. When Dove spoke to me, I was able to extract some information about the happenings on Island Seven, and it needs my assistance. Just take Jason and leave."

I almost don't know how to respond. His presence is remarkable enough. "I thought you died when the experiment ended on Island five? I thought you were one of the two chosen not to join the ranks?" He shrugged, as if he didn't care that the world thought he was dead.

"Yes, I wanted them to think that. They made me more powerful than I allowed them to think though. I can't be seen or heard by cameras. I can choose to be completely Invisible if I want. I needed to play dead long enough to find a way to stop them..." He suddenly stopped talking. "You better hurry, Dove is on her way." He disappeared, leaving me in silence and confusion. All my planning seems to be pointless now. The wind starts to pick up, and I know I must leave now. I see Jason coming up from the passageway below.

"You are late Jason. We have to leave immediately though. Dove is on her way."

He scrambled to his feet, breathing heavily. I grabbed his hand and ran towards my secretly docked boat.

Stay and play. You wanted to use me, isn't that right Erica?

"Leave Dove. You can take the Island. You don't need me anyway." Jason nods his head, like he is in a deep conversation. I grab the suitcase out from his other hand, then pull a gun out of my pocket. Not many people have guns anymore, but I was able to secretly obtain one a couple years back. I shoot him in the head from behind. He is better dead than under Dove's control. "The longer you remain here, the more time Wyatt has to escape."

Wyatt won't escape, not after I send my soldiers after him. As for you, it won't take long. I can either convince you to join me, or...

Suddenly my hand goes numb. The gun that was clenched tightly begins to turn towards me, regardless of how much I resist.

Live or die, its your choice!

"I won't let you do this!" I drop the suitcase, and try to fight for control of the gun, but it keeps turning regardless.

It's hopeless to battle with me. I am the controller of minds.

I try to push the gun away, but it is slowly raised towards my face.

It would have been much easier if you had chosen to believe in me.

The gun is turned so that I can see down its barrel. My other hand drops to my side, unable to fight anymore.

Suddenly a black mist surrounds the gun and it disappears. A cold hand grips onto my forearm, and shoves the suitcase into my other hand.

"We must hurry, but I won't be able to protect you for long." it's the same boy from earlier, Evander from Island Five. He takes the gun from me, removes it's bullets, and throws it into the forest.

Shadows can only protect you for so long Erica Stokes. I will eliminate you eventually. You are only prolonging the inevitable.

I am pushed onto my little boat, and Evander disappears again. I quickly start it, and speed away as quickly as possible.

The dawn has begun, the Dove must fly.