Chapter 23

Dove:

I can see them watching us. They are calculating our every action and thought. They want us to do their bidding. They want to control everything about us.

However, they forget how resilient the human mind is. We can still make our own decisions, even when influenced by others.

They also don't know that I can see them too. I know everything that they are doing. I have become so powerful, that I hardly need my own body to survive. I can use all of the energy of all life around me.

I look down to realize that I am not inside of my own body anymore. I can still control my body, but I feel free of it's confinement. I know that my body is still necessary to my survival, however, I am not physically attached to it. As long as my body cannot be observed, I am nearly invincible.

I teleport into the middle of a fire. The fire seems to have burned some trees around me, and the smoke is billowing like a storm. A boy, aged approximately thirteen years, seems to be the origin of the inferno.

"Ash, let my voice calm you." I whisper into his head. The fire lightens in intensity and he lifts his head, looking around.

"Who are you?" He manages to gasp, unable to locate me.

"I am Dove. You must listen to me. If you let your fear engulf you, your powers will be used for terror. You must use your flames to purify. Burn the wicked and warm the needy. You will be my hero." I feel the attachment solidify in his head. He will listen to me, he will worship me. He stands tall, and stops adding to the flame. The heat around him absorbs into his skin.

"How do I stop the fire?" He asks to both himself and me simultaneously.

"You can not. However, you can warn the others. Follow the wind, and you will find those who can help." I whisper, leaving his side.

I find myself looking down upon some adults nervously typing on their expensive computers.

"We lost connection to Dove. She seems to have demolished the hardware implants."

I laugh to myself secretly. The irony that I am unknowingly watching over them is tasteful.

"She will be dead soon, her power is too unstable. We already know that she is degenerating at too rapid a rate to maintain a metabolism at homeostasis. Omega is our greatest concern." Omega? How does she fit into all of this.

After quickly absorbing all of their knowledge, I clearly understand everything about this institution and Omega. They want her dead. They plan on doing anything it takes to kill her.

A few guards march an old lady down to the center of the room. A man with square glasses addresses her.

"We have acquired information that you have been talking against the pursuance of peace." He calls out assertively.

"I only spoke of my memory. I spoke of nothing harmful, I promise!" She sobs on the ground.

"Your plea is invalid. Take her to the Judiciary."

The older woman is dragged out of the room.