Chapter 5

Tyler:

Kali put me to work building the shelter. I've never built a shelter before, at least I don't remember ever building anything, but it feels easy enough. Just lean some large branches against the sturdiest tree by the fire. I start to scavenge for something to build the shelter with, but nothing of use. This is going to be harder than I thought. I find a couple of branches and bring them to the tree I chose to be the foundation of the shelter, but I don't get a chance to resume my search.

That's when the guy walked into the opening, and Kali knocked him out.

"He will live. I will keep an eye on him and the fire." Kali blatantly states.

There's nothing more to say. I don't know if I should continue trusting her, but there really isn't anything else I can do right now. I go back to work, doing what I can to build the shabby teepee like tent. It takes me about an hour to find enough branches for the hut, and then I go to look for something to cover the frame of the building.

I find broad, thick, waxy leaves to cover the shelter with. It should protect us from rain decently.

It took at least two hours just to build one shelter. Not only that, but it can barely fit one person comfortably, I don't know how it will fit five! And I had to do all of this in the dark since Kali wouldn't allow us to rest until everything was done.

"Umm... Kali. There isn't that much room in the shelter." I say casually, but nervously. She has the capability to knock out a guy older than her in one swift punch. Kali looks at me with an angry gaze. I nearly flinch. Her look calms, but remains stoic.

"Then we will sleep outside tonight. Gather the others. I will allow the injured guy to sleep in the tent." I can't really do anything but follow her orders.

I run off to find the others. I find them sprinting back toward camp, in my direction.

"What's wrong?" I quickly shout out.

"A lion!" Ryan exclaims. 

"What are you talking about?" I respond incredulously. Ready to scold his ignorance, I see a lion run out of the trees behind him.

I find a thick branch with a few leaves laying on the ground and I quickly lift it up to defend the younger kids from the lion. I know there isn't much I can do, but it's better than nothing. The lion lunges forward and snaps its jaws onto my arm.