Chapter 4

Kali:

I found a kid named Tyler not too far from where I woke up. We have been walking together for some time, and we still haven't found a source of water. I didn't trust him at first, but he easily gained it. Then we stumbled upon two other kids. I let them come into our group since they are so young. The girl is kind of creepy, but the boy says that she is deaf and mute. No wonder she is making such a ruckus. It seems pointless to drag her along with us, since girls with disabilities are unlikely to survive in a forest.

I'm fourteen. Tyler is a year older than me, but since I act much older, it doesn't mean much. Being stranded on this island makes me very suspicious. Something big is happening, something bigger than any of us realize. And we are all kids so far it seems. There is even a seven year old! Whoever put us here, probably picked a bunch of young kids for a reason.

"I'm not creepy!" Dove interjects, bringing me out of my trance. I turn to look at her.

"I thought you said she was mute?" I ask Ryan. He looks at me and shrugs. The girl continues, but her lips don't move.

"I am mute!" My heart skips a beat. I stop walking suddenly and Tyler looks at me questioningly.

"What's wrong Kali?" Tyler stops and asks. So only I can hear her. She is speaking to my mind.

"How did you do that!" I exclaim, starting to get angry. Maybe she is why we are on this island.

"I don't know, but it is the only way I can communicate to people." Dove responds only to me and I grow furious.

"Then stay out of my head! I don't need a little girl snooping into my thoughts!" Tyler looks at me like I lost it. Luckily, Ryan explains.

"Dove can talk to people with her mind!"

Tyler suddenly looks around as if he hears something, then he stares at Dove. She must have spoken to him. He looks even more surprised than I did I bet. He almost faints.

"Let's keep going." I say to everyone, trying to keep people on track. I didn't ask to be leader, and i'd rather not be, but I don't have any other choice at the moment.

We hear wolves howling in the distance and everyone shudders, but I assure them that they must be far off.

"There's a river up ahead." Tyler states, still sounding shocked by learning that the little girl can read minds.

We race up to the stream, and we all jump in the water. It feels like I haven't ever felt water before. The water is just so fresh that I completely forget about all my worries.

"Let's get a fire started. You two little kids, go collect some sticks and big rocks. Tyler, can you start building a shelter? I can help you with putting it together after I get the fire started."

They all nod and head off to do what I told them. They follow instruction with such ease, it surprises me. Maybe I am supposed to be their leader?

The kids quickly bring back enough stones for me to line the fireplace with and enough wood to get a fire started. I grab one of the rocks they brought me, and use it to make enough sparks to light a dry pile of nettles. After about half an hour, I finally get the fire going.

After a few minutes, Tyler comes back and whispers something in my ear.

"I think someone is coming." I nod and motion for the other two to come back.

"Who are you?" I shout out defiantly.

"It's probably one of the wolves." Ryan says.

"Wolves don't make such a ruckus." Tyler says condescendingly.

The person says nothing. I tell everyone to pick up a hefty stick to defend ourselves if need be. I step forward cautiously. I finally see him and I stop.

"Why are you here?" I ask warily.

He drops a stone on the ground that is covered with blood and starts to approach me. I quickly punch the face he drops to the ground, making a sickening thud. I stare down at him, shocked at what I have just done. How did I even just do that? That punch was amazing. I bend down and check the boys pulse, and I get the others to help me drag his body to the clearing.

"He will live. I will keep an eye on him and the fire."