Chapter 28

Tyler:

I look at the bruises on my arm. I don't know how I didn't feel it before, but it's obvious they are because of Kali's grip.

I have no idea what had happened between us. Now I can't stop thinking of her. After we were done, she just left. No goodbye, or comments of what had occurred. I had quickly redressed, and started wandering away. I didn't know where I wanted to go, I just needed time to think. I went the opposite way that Kali did.

After wandering for a good half hour, I found myself in this opening. I had looked around me only briefly, then stopped to organize my thoughts.

Does this mean that Kali and I are now together? Was I supposed to follow her? When does she want to do it again? Did she not like it? Is that why she left? How did it happen so quickly?

The unnatural rustling of the bushes behind me sends tingles up my spine, ending my thought process. I am tempted to turn around, but a sudden and submissive feeling of tranquility clouds my judgment. How have I not noticed the beauty of the Island before?

I look up and gaze longingly at the clear blue sky. I see birds slowly drift across it, unaware of anything other than the gentle breeze. The various hues of greens on the leaves rustle like a mosaic, always shifting what the true image is supposed to be. One second they seem to form a face, then another moment a river. My peripheral vision goes blurry, however, my focus intensifies. The contrast between all the colours become clearly visible. My existence seems to be insignificant. All that matters now is the trees and the leaves, and nothing else.

A laughing echo gently and softly rumbles around me. It seems dangerous, but I can't find the capability to care.

Dove's voice almost completely eliminates the feeling of euphoria.

Turn around.

I suddenly turn, broken from the spell, and see the blade only an arm reach away from my chest. A girl I've never met frowns in confusion, and jabs the knife forward. I raise my hand to defend myself, and am shocked to see the light burst from the palm of my hand.

A loud thunder gives me goosebumps and the lightning throws the weapon through the sky until it is out of view. The girl's eyes widen in surprise for only a second. She then runs.

I have no idea who she was or what I just accomplished. Was she trying to kill me? Did Dove just save me? I look around, but don't see Dove anywhere in sight. Did that girl just make me feel like that, or am I just out of my mind?

I sit on the ground, flooded by disbelief and confusion for the fourth time today.