Chapter 20

Ryan:

The wind rustles through my hair as I run. I am very tired, but I can't stop, I can feel Dove behind me. I can't believe I thought she was cute before. She is so creepy.

I continue forward following the river. How far had we walked? I didn't think it was this far away, but it must have taken an hour to walk to the cave before. I look around, and notice how peaceful everything is. It looks to be spring, because I see all sorts of baby animals, like baby squirrels and baby birds chirping in the trees.

After I'm sure I am far enough away from the cave, I stop to take a breath. I might be half way down now? I'm not really sure. I decide to fly the rest of the way down. It makes me even more tired when I fly, but at least it doesn't hurt. It is almost pleasant, but I know if I fall asleep, the fall would not be fun.

After a while of flying, I get so tired that I decide walking might be better. I feel really weak, and hope that all the wolves are gone. Why did I decide to go out alone? I suddenly start to get really scared, and really hope that they are all dead. If they were to attack, I might not have the strength to stay in the air for long. The sound of people laughing breaks me out of my thoughts.

I head towards the laughter, and hear splashing water. I suddenly notice how thirsty I am. When I enter into the clearing, I see the girl who was the lion playing with another girl slightly younger than her. The other girl looks so beautiful in the water.

"Who are you?" The lion girl asks, suddenly not laughing anymore. The other girl turns and smiles.

"Hi! My name is Puddle! And this is Vivi!" She exclaims, gesturing towards the lion girl.

"My name is Ryan. I know who Vivi is, we helped bring her up to the cave."

"You are one of the other children?" Vivi remarks. "Were you a prisoner?"

I look at her quizzically. "No, we all woke up on this island."

She looks stunned. She stops talking, so Puddle steps forward, while knee deep still in the river.

"How many of you are there?" She asks softly, like she is talking to a scared animal. I stand a little taller, to prove that I'm not just a little kid.

"About six others, I think. That is if you don't count us." I smile. Maybe she likes me too, I really hope that she does.

"Is there water at the cave?" She asks, biting her bottom lip.

"Not really, but there is a river only about five minutes away." Her face suddenly falls.

"We can't go with you, I'm afraid." Puddle responds sadly. Vivi looks shocked, but silently nods her head.

"Puddle can't stay out of the water for very long, especially under the sun. I think I will stay here with her. Thank you for finding us." Vivi apologizes.

"I can't go back there. The wolves attacked, and Dove is crazy, and Kiara is missing-" Vivi holds up her hand.

"Kiara is the one who saved me, correct?" She asks slowly, realization on her face. I nod quickly. "I must find her. Come with us Ryan. Along the way, you can tell us everything you know."

I follow Vivi without hesitation.