The Xia Family Arrives 4

"If you wanted to protect her so much, why not show yourself to her, instead of always hiding in the shadows?"

Zuo Shangchen, dressed in peach pink robes suddenly appeared behind the man. His face, which was as beautiful as a peach blossom, carried a relaxed and capricious smile. His beautiful eyes carelessly glanced at the body of the man before him. No one had noticed it, but at that moment a strange light flashed across his eyes.

Once he had found out that two parties from the Xia family were looking to track Gu Ruoyun down, the man in black called upon Zuo Shangchen for his help to squash the news of her presence in Black Tortoise Country.

This is why no news regarding the recent events at the Imperial Palace had leaked out...

Aside from anyone who was involved in the situation, no one knew the whereabouts of the Master of the Hundred Herb Hall.

"Xiao Yun'er...must really want to see you."

Zuo Shangchen closed his fan and wiped off his lazy smile. His eyes now stared seriously at the man, "No one knows how much pain and suffering she's endured all these years, are you really decided on never revealing yourself?"

The man was silent. The sunlight could not drive out the chill emanating from his cold demeanor, no matter how warm it was.

At that moment, even Zuo Shangchen could feel the man's depressive state, his chest felt blocked with panic, his usually frivolous expression was now more dignified – no one had ever seen him this way.

"You..."

"It is still not the time yet." The man said, shaking his head as a cold light flashed across his dark eyes, "I cannot let anyone know of my presence here, and no one must realize that the man locked within the mountains is not me! Otherwise, the men who have eyed me covetously would not let this opportunity slip by. Furthermore, with such a strong enemy on my back, before I am powerful enough, I can only use this method to ensure her safety."

Zuo Shangchen was momentarily startled, then recovered himself to his usual easy-going yet enchanting smile, his red lips curved attractively. He unfolded his fan with a smile as beautiful as ten miles of fragrant peach blossoms.

"You're willing to give your all in order to protect her, then I will use my life to ensure her safety in the future. If anything happens to you, I will never let anyone harm even a single strand of hair on her head."
Zuo Shangchen may have said this with a smile, but his eyes displayed exceptional firmness.

No one could even touch a single hair on whomever Zuo Shangchen resolves to protect.

Unless they did it over his dead body!

"Thank you."

The man replied hoarsely.

What is the meaning of being a brother? Brothers will make every effort to protect the members of their family. While he has never mentioned this to Zuo Shangchen, this man would be his sworn brother for the rest of his life!

"In the past, it was you who saved my life. If it were not for you, I would not be alive today. So protecting her is my duty." Zuo Shangchen replied seriously.

Hearing these words, the man said nothing more. His gaze fell on the pure and beautiful young girl in the courtyard. His eye so filled with love it could drown a person to death.

"Yun'er, do not worry. Once I've accumulated enough power to protect you, I will appear before you, and guard you so that you will always live in peace."

...

If Gu Ruoyun had known that the news of the commotion in the palace was squashed by that mischievous Zuo Shangchen, she would have punched him fiercely! In fact, the reason why she had decided to make such a huge commotion in Black Tortoise Country was to attract the attention of the Xia family. But their good intentions put her efforts to waste.

At this moment, in the Xia household, a middle-aged man slammed his hand on a table, glaring coldly at his subordinates, "I gave you a simple order to find someone, and you've failed! If that little bastard Xia Linyu found her first, all of you had better feed yourselves to tigers and wolves! I'll give you half a month more. Be sure to murder Gu Ruoyun, and push the blame on Xia Linyu! I want to cause a rift between Xian Linyu's father and the Ghost Doctor!"

"Reporting to the Second Master, our men have already been to the Hundred Herb Hall in Azure Dragon Country. However... It seems that Gu Ruoyun was not in the Hundred Herb Hall." said a man who was drenched in cold sweat, trembling in fear while awaiting the middle-aged man's response.

Even though the Second Master had always put on a gentle and warm face, only they knew that this man was shady and cruel to the bone. Anyone who offended him would never live in peace!

A haze formed in Xia Qi's eyes, his lips curled eerily, "Xia Linyu, this time, no one can save you or your father! Even if your travels prove fruitful and you're successful in curing the tuberculosis in your body, it does not mean that your father would have the same good fortune! The Xia family... will sooner or later be mine! I will eradicate anything that stands in my way!"

...

In the restaurant, Gu Ruoyun stared at the evildoer who was fanning himself with a coquettish smile on his face before her and rubbed her temples as if she had a headache. This person was like the soul of a deceased who has yet to disperse. No matter where she went, she would always bump into him.

"What? No maids to carry you on your palanquin today?"

Every time this evildoer appeared he would always be lying lazily in his palanquin. Today, there were no palanquin maids in sight; it was truly a rare occurrence. Gu Ruoyun was indeed slightly astonished.

Zuo Shangchen smiled softly; his beautiful face displayed a joking smile, the corners of his lips lifted upwards to a smile that was utterly magnificent.

"I do need to move about sometimes, don't you agree, Xiao Yun'er?"

Ever since this evildoer appeared, the entire restaurant went completely silent. Especially the unmarried women, they could not take their eyes off him. They had already thought that the Third Prince of Black Tortoise Country was beautiful enough, but they never imagined that a man could be so beautiful to this degree, his looks were simply capable of causing the downfall of a city.

Even his slightest smile could pull at anyone's heartstrings, so beautiful that he could turn living things upside down.

Pang Ran's eyes circulated between the two, unsure of what to think, only his gossipy glances betrayed him.

"May this prince sit down?" Zuo Shangchen's lips curved into a shallow smile, his beautiful eyes fixed upon Gu Ruoyun from the very beginning.

"Sit. Please sit. Sit anywhere you like."

Before waiting for Gu Ruoyun to speak, Pang Ran hurriedly stood up, his face brimming with a wide smile, "The Fourth Prince of Vermillion Bird Country has graced us with his presence, and is certainly a welcomed a guest of Black Tortoise Country, don't you agree, goddess?"

Obviously, Pang Ran had already recognized Zuo Shangchen's identity from the start.

What? The Fourth Prince of Vermillion Bird Country?

The eyes of the women who had previously been hesitating lit up, for some of them were daughters of Imperial officials. Their ranks dictate that they can never marry commoners. No matter how beautiful the man was, he would not be able to match up to them if he did not have any rank or social status.

However, this was entirely different if he were the Fourth Prince of Vermillion Bird Country.

As long as you could become the wife or concubine of the Fourth Prince of Vermillion Bird Country, then your family name would certainly rise as a result. Moreover, this was a man of exceptional beauty.

Hence, some of the girls stood up and walked straight towards Zuo Shangchen. They simply could not wait any longer.

A girl dressed in white, like a pure and flawless lotus flower, shyly lowered her head, her voice as sweet as melodious as an oriole bird and said, "Your Royal Highness the Fouth Prince, this humble girl is the daughter of the Prime Minister of Black Tortoise Country, Xiang'er. I did not expect to bump into the Fourth Prince's elegant demeanor. If Your Royal Highness doesn't mind, may this humble girl sit with you?"

Eyeing the scene before her, Gu Ruoyun contentedly raised her teacup, leisurely watching the show from the sides. Her beautiful clear eyes were like a smile, but not yet a smile.

Zuo Shangchen's lips held a touch of a smile, his indolent manner wrapped around the back of his head, his beautiful eyes shot a glance at the blushing Xiang'er, and lazily opened his mouth, " This prince enjoys taking up two seats for himself."

What he really meant was, he wanted to take up two seats in a table for four, and there was no space for her now.

Unfortuately, Xiang'er did not understand what Zuo Shangchen had meant. She observed the smile on the man before her, thinking that he had a good impression on her, and her heart began beating happily. Her eyes shot a glance at Gu Ruoyun who was seated next to Pang Ran and said, "Excuse me, miss. May I have a seat? I am the daughter of the Prime Minister. If you would give me your seat, I will give you as much gold as you want!"

She thought that the plainly dressed woman who came with Pang Ran must certainly be the kind of woman who has sold herself in order to curry favor with influential officials. Such a disgusting woman simply isn't fit to sit with me! She thought. If it were not for the sake of maintaining a good impression on the Fourth Prince of Vermillion Bird Country, she would have ordered someone to kick her out long ago!

As for the reason behind Zuo Shangchen's visit, she believed that it was because of Pang Ran, seeing as he was the Sixth Prince of Black Tortoise Country, having some form of acquaintance with Zuo Shangchen would make sense.

Gu Ruoyun tapped her finger, her pure and delicate face filled with a smile, "It's not that I won't let you have my seat, but the price of it is quite high."

"Name your price. I will pay it."

A scornful glint flashed across Xiang'er's expression. I was right, she thought, this woman has no shame, she would sell her body for a small benefit.

Ironically, Xiang'er had completely forgotten that she herself had approached them after hearing about Zuo Shangchen's identity. If Zuo Shangchen were not the Fourth Prince of Vermillion Bird Country, she would have arrogantly decided that the latter was not fit to even speak to her.

"As long as you can pay the price, I will sell this seat to you." Gu Ruoyun put down her teacup, her clear, beautiful, smiling eyes observed Xiang'er's disdainful expression, she nodded her head and said, "The price of this seat, is a country! If you can present me with a country as a gift, then I will sell it to you. This is still considered as friendship price, otherwise, I would not sell it to you for even one hundred countries."

"You..."

Xiang'er's expression changed greatly. The nerve of this woman, she thought angrily, opening her mouth to ask for a whole country, this is considered friendship price? Friendship my little sister!

"Miss, you've treated me in such a way, despite my good intentions." Taking a deep breath, Xiang'er clenched her hand into a fist. Her snow-white complexion exhibiting clear fury, "Are you not sitting with His Royal Highness, Pang Ran, the Sixth Prince of our Black Tortoise Country for the purpose of obtaining glory, splendor, wealth, and rank? Why pretend to be noble and virtuous in front of everyone? I will give you one thousand pieces of gold, now give this seat to me! You'll never earn so much money in your life if you do not rely on the Sixth Prince."

This woman is such a fake! Xiang'er thought. If she were not a woman who coveted riches, she would never have taken a fancy to a good-for-nothing like Pang Ran! At the end of the day, Pang Ran is the Emperor's favorite, so if she could become the Sixth Prince's wife, wouldn't she be enjoying endless splendor and riches?

It seems that I would have to speak to my father about this. A cunning and unlawful woman is scheming on getting close to the Sixth Prince. Let father remind His Imperial Majesty, lest the naturally naïve Sixty Prince be discarded in circles around a woman with such intentions.

However, upon Jin Xiang'er's words, the faces of the two men turned ugly.

Pang Ran angrily slammed his hand on the table, his eyes spitting with rage. Gu Ruoyun was a great benefactor to him, and he would never allow anyone to insult her innocence.