The Dongfang Family's Plea for Aid 2

Actually, Gu Ruoyun had somewhat expected that Dongfang Shaoze and her parents' relationship had not been as simple as mere friendship. Nevertheless, she had never imagined that her own mother was from the Dongfang family!

Astonishment flashed through her bright eyes fleetingly.

"My Mother was the daughter of the Dongfang family? Why had I never heard of that before? Also, if she was from the Dongfang family, why had they not protected her?"

Gu Ruoyun was extremely calm at this moment. She was so calm that Dongfang Shaoze could not help but feel a flash of guilt in his heart.

"Yun'er, my apologies. I had not been able to protect your mother. That year, when I got to know of your mother's death, I had rushed over and wanted to investigate the truth behind her death. However, while I was on the way, I was intercepted and brought back by my father who was also your grandfather. You should know about the existence of the Three Great Authorities. My father had done that... because he was afraid that the Dongfang family would be destroyed. However, I do not disregard what he had done."

How could one, as a father, not be heartbroken over his daughter's death? Even though his father had admired Gu Tian, in the end, he had still been unwilling to let the two of them be together; he was unwilling to let this issue compromise the position of the Dongfang family...

Gu Ruoyun smiled a smile that caused Dongfang Shaoze's heart to ache.

"The Dongfang family... Haha, he was afraid of the Three Great Authorities so he had let his own innocent daughter die in vain. Furthermore, after all these years, there had never been anyone from the Dongfang family who had come to look for me. Even though I had been beaten to death by the Gu family, no one has ever stood up for me. If it wasn't for my good luck, perhaps... I would already be dead."

To be honest, she was not fond of the Dongfang family at all. After all, she believed that the Dongfang family could not have been ignorant of how she had been living all these years. Yet they had never sent anyone to stand up for her, ever!

If someone had come, even if it was just to retort a single sentence for her sake, the Gu family would not have dared to treat her so cruelly.

"Yun'er."

Dongfang Shaoze's heart ached and he raised his hands to pull Gu Ruoyun into his embrace. Hugging the frail young girl in his arms tightly, he lowered his head and said: "I'm so sorry, Yun'er. Your Uncle has come too late and has caused you to endure so much pain..."

The warm embrace melted Gu Ruoyun's heart. No matter how the Dongfang family had neglected her, the man before her eyes was blameless in all the help he had rendered to her.

She would forever remember this debt of gratitude.

"I have no fondness for the Dongfang family. Only you will always be my Uncle! Always and never changing."

The young girl lifted her head and her beautiful face was full of determination.

At that moment, a surge of warmth filled Dongfang Shaoze's heart. He lifted his hand to caress Gu Ruoyun's head as his eyes filled with a smile that one could drown in.

"Yun'er, perhaps your grandfather had his concerns and was unable to do what he wanted to do, but he really loved your mother. Also, remember that no matter what happens in the future, even if the Dongfang family cannot stand by your side, your Uncle will always be there for you."

Gu Ruoyun shrugged and blinked as she asked, "That's right, Uncle, you had come to visit me not only because of that, correct? Has something happened to the Dongfang family?"

Dongfang Shaoze's heart sank. As he recalled the recent incident, he could not help but let out a deep sigh.

"Actually, it's not a big issue. I feel your grandfather's physical well-being is not what it used to be. His life may be coming to an end. In addition to that, it has become a reality that the Dongfang family is currently surrounded by enemies. Not only does he have to face enemies from the outside, also... He has to take precautions against the disputes within the family. He is gradually unable to cope and if he does not make a breakthrough soon, he could, at most, only withstand this for another one to two years."

Dongfang Shaoze laughed bitterly. Back then, he had painstakingly convinced his father to do this so that the Weapon Refining Sect would not have the time to deal with Gu Ruoyun. However, in the end, it was the Dongfang Family that bore the brunt of it.

In the period of a full three years, the Dongfang family had struggled with the Weapon Refining Sect. If anything were to happen to Father, the Dongfang family could be destroyed very quickly. But he did not tell Gu Ruoyun about this point. No matter what, he was unwilling to use this debt of gratitude to hold her back...

Gu Ruoyun quietened down. After a long while, she lifted her head to look at the man's warm face, saying, "I don't like the Dongfang family because of their attitude towards Mother's death. However, I acknowledge you as my uncle and you are part of the Dongfang family. Therefore... I will not let anything happen to the Dongfang family!"

What she really means was that she would help the Dongfang family, not for the sake of so-called blood relations and family love, but for him, Dongfang Shaoze's sake.

Dongfang Shaoze's heart swelled with warmth but it was also followed by guilt that could not be shaken off. He did not know how much trouble and pain this girl had gone through for her character to have transformed and become so steadfast. If he had retreated and come out from Azure Dragon Country earlier, perhaps she would not have had to endure so much pain...

All these years, none of the Dongfang family had helped her. It was understandable that she would not have any affection towards the Dongfang family. If it was not for her good fortune, who knew how many times she would have died at the hands of the Gu family.

"Uncle, with my current level of ability, I'm unable to help the Master of the Dongfang family with his breakthrough. Let us put the issue of him breaking through aside for another day. Here's a Longevity Pill, give that to him and it will prolong his life by ten years. Now, I'll need to make a trip elsewhere. Once I am done with that, I will then go to the Dongfang family and look for you."

Gu Ruoyun could roughly guess the pressing issues that the Dongfang family was facing now. Elder Yu had informed her that the Weapon Refining Sect had not come to trouble her because of the Dongfang family's interference. She did not even have to think very far to know that this was something that Dongfang Shaoze had done for her sake...

Although he did not use this leverage to force her into helping the Dongfang family, Gu Ruoyun was not an ungrateful person. So, even if she felt no fondness towards the Dongfang family, she would still do her utmost best to help him...

However, after hearing her words, Dongfang Shaoze was stunned.

Truth be told, he had come to ask for a Longevity Pill. With this pill, Father could add another ten years to his lifespan. With those ten years, perhaps he could achieve a breakthrough. Even in the worst-case scenario, if Father was unable to have a breakthrough, it would still gain another ten years for the Dongfang family.

But, just now Yun'er had said that at this moment, she was unable to help Father with his breakthrough? Does that mean that she can help him in the future?

As his thoughts wandered to this point, Dongfang Shaoze shook his head. He smiled lightly and said, "Yun'er, in that case, I'll wait for you at the Dongfang family home. But may Uncle ask you, where are you going a while later?"

Gu Ruoyun lowered her eyes slightly as the corners of her lips curved up into a smile.

That smile was full of warmth, expectation, and a sliver of urgency...

Wei Yiyi, who was standing by the side, was stunned; she had followed her master for three years but she had never seen her reveal such a smile. This smile was beautiful enough to shake the human heart.

"I'm going to Heaven City to meet the Xia family." The young girl's face was shrouded in a faint glow as her bright eyes flashed with longing and guilt.

Yu'er, it has been three years, I can finally go and look for you now. You must wait for me. This lifetime, I will not let you suffer the same kind of pain as you did in the previous life.

"Heaven City?" Dongfang Shaoze furrowed his brows, "The power of the Heaven City and the Dongfang family's are not too much different from one another. Yun'er, I don't know how you are connected to the Xia family but if someone is troubling you, you can let me know through Elder Yu. No matter what, the Xia family must not disrespect the Dongfang family."

"I understand."

Gu Ruoyun nodded her head lightly. The most urgent thing now was that she must find a way to get the Heaven City token. Before anything else, she would need to make a trip to Black Tortoise Country...

...

After Dongfang Shaoze had said his farewells and left, Gu Ruoyun returned to the inner courtyard. Just as she walked in, she was pulled into an embrace by a pair of hands. The man's silver hair fell forward as his red robes fluttered in the wind like a bewitching ghost. His arms cradled the young girl before him tightly as if he was afraid that she might suddenly vanish.

Gu Ruoyun did not resist and allowed the man to draw her into his embrace. After a long while, his quiet voice sounded in her ear, "Are you leaving?"

"Yes."

Gu Ruoyun nodded her head as she replied in a quiet voice.

"Can I not come along with you?" The man's voice was laced with resentment and a deep sadness.

"Xiao Ye, this time I'll be searching for someone who is very important to me. I will be back very soon. Wait for me here, alright?"

Someone very important?

The man's arms gradually loosened and his expression was full of resentment as he looked at Gu Ruoyun. He looked at Gu Ruoyun as though she was someone who was abandoning her family. His breathtakingly gorgeous face was full of grief. For some unknown reason, when he heard that she was going to search for someone very important to her, his heart had started to ache. That heartache... It was as though he had experienced it before...

"Xiao Ye," Gu Ruoyun smiled gently and said, "I'm also not too sure about the matter this time, and even more so I do not know if he is the person that I'm looking for. But in any case, I need to make a trip there. In my heart, Zixie, you, and my brother Yu'er, are all very important to me. If anyone of you ever got lost, I would go to the ends of the earth to get you back. I'm not letting you come with me this time because the token to enter Heaven City is much more difficult to obtain. Other than the great families in Heaven City, any outsider would only be able to enter at the price of a token per person. If it is only one token, I can still think of a way to get it but to obtain two, I'm afraid, is going to be a bit more difficult."

Qianbei Ye, who had been full of resentment at first, after hearing Gu Ruoyun's explanation, his divinely beautiful face lit up with a smile. Did Xiao Yun mean that he was also very important to her?

"Alright, Xiao Yun, I will wait for you. No matter if it's ten years, twenty years or a hundred years, I will wait for you here."

Even if a lifetime was exhausted, he would still be waiting for her here...

"Master, when will you be leaving?"

Wei Yiyi rubbed her nose. It figures that Qianbei Ye, who could make his enemies tremble, would only reveal this innocent appearance before Gu Ruoyun.

"I'll be leaving immediately."

Gu Ruoyun pondered for a moment, raised her head and said, "Wei Yiyi, after I have gone, bring Uncle Luo and Luo Yin to the Devil Sect's headquarters and arrange a position for them."

Saying thus, she lifted her head to look up at the skies and in the dimness, she seemed to see a young boy's shy smile...

"Yu'er, wait for your big sister. I'll be able to find you very soon and after that, the two of us, sister and brother, will never be separated again."