43

Bernie went running into the hospital with her purse over her shoulder and a plastic bag with clothes for Olivia in her hand. She knew that she had to get to Olivia before she let her thoughts get to her and have her start thinking of the worse when it came to Elliot's state.

"Liv." Bernie breathed quietly, as she looked at her son's girlfriend. She sat on the floor with her hands clutching her cross necklace as she mumbled a prayer. Bernie swerved out of the way of others, before going over and sinking beside Olivia.

"Bernie," Olivia whispered. She ran her hands over her face before swallowing hard.

"Any news on our boy?" Bernie asked, and Olivia shook her head.

"No... but he's really bad off. He was having a hard time seeing when we brought him up here... his clothes were melted to his body. Bernie, I'm scared that the damage will be too bad and he won't make it." Olivia whimpered. She rubbed some soot from her face before looking at Bernie.

"Let's go get you cleaned up," Bernie spoke, but Olivia shook her head.

"I'm not leaving here until my husband is out here and we can see each other," Olivia spoke. Bernie didn't correct her on the use of husband over boyfriend and at this moment she was wishing that they had gotten married so Olivia has more say.

"You may be hurt too, honey. You were by that fire and you might have burns or cuts." Bernie replied. Olivia lifted her leg and showed off a deep cut on her thigh.

"I got this when I pulled a piece of metal out of one of the officers," Olivia replied.

"Oh, honey. C'mon. Let's go find someone to clean it up."

|*|

After a few stitches, internal and external, Olivia walked back and sat down beside Bernie. She kept glancing at the room she knew her soulmate was in. She had a hard time thinking about him possibly dying or being so hurt to the point that he wouldn't want to be around her and the girls once again.

They sat and watched as nurses and doctors came out and asked for families of those that had been killed, injured, or missing at the sight. It just seemed so much longer for Olivia and Bernie because Elliot was the last living victim to be rushed to the hospital. Nearly three hours after the bus crashed and became engulfed in flames.

Olivia eventually got changed into clean clothes and washed her face-off, but after that, it was still just a waiting game. A long and cruel waiting game.

"Family of Elliot Stabler?" A doctor spoke quietly, as he walked into the waiting room that was almost completely empty.

"I'm his mother and this is his girlfriend," Bernie spoke once she stood up.

"Alright, Mrs. Stabler, can we talk alone real quick?" He asked.

"I have two of his children, you asshole! I took care of him at the scene-"

"Whatever you have to say to me, you can say it to Olivia too. We are his family, whether you want us to be or not." Bernie spoke quickly.

"Mr. Stabler has 2nd and 3rd-degree burns covering most of his body. His eyes are badly damaged, but we may be able to go into surgery and fix his eyes so he has at least some eyesight again."

"He might not be able to survive his body being covered by that many burns. His body will start shutting down. You need-"

"Olivia, we will deal with this how we can. Just don't try to doctor him." The doctor huffed before walking away. Olivia watched as he walked away with wide eyes.

"What an ass." Bernie huffed.

"Two kids, Bernie. Two. I might lose Elliot after only having him back for a few months. I won't be able to raise these girls alone." Olivia whimpered before walking away and pulling her phone out. She needed to call her mother and talk because she didn't want to hurt Bernie if she said some nasty things.

|*|

After getting calmed down by her mother, Olivia walked back into the waiting room to only be led upstairs and to the burn unit. Bernie was already in the room sitting beside her son, and Olivia slowly got her gown, gloves, and mask on before heading in. Bernie looked over her shoulder and saw Olivia and frowned.

"He's sleeping and they don't know if he will end up waking up. They keep trying to clean his burns and keep his eyes covered to avoid germs and such." Bernie spoke.

"I know everything that could happen to him, Bernie. I know that he could get infections. Kidney and liver failure. He might lose the ability to speak and breath. He could die right now because when your body is covered in burns like this, it's usually a death sentence." Olivia spoke as she tried to not act as if her heart was breaking into a million pieces.

"Don't think about that, Olivia. Don't think about how horrible everything could be. Because my son will not die. He will not die and leave you and those girls alone again. He will live and I will make sure of it." Bernie replied.

"My mom is sending Joseph up. He's going to come and see Elliot. Say goodbye if it has to happen." Olivia spoke.

"Don't be so damn pessimistic, Olivia!" Bernie spat. Olivia swallowed hard before frowning and shaking her head.

"I'm being realistic, Bernie. You aren't. Your pure stubbornness will not keep your son alive. If it worked like that, you would have been able to keep your son around when he decided to leave me and Adalee." Olivia spat back. She moved over to the bed and went to gently touched the very top of Elliot's head that wasn't burnt at all. Olivia knew that it must have been because of his hat and if he had been thrown into the water.

"Don't touch my son. Don't act as you love him when you are giving up on him."

Hey guys, so the next chapter is going to be the last chapter. It will be long and more than likely sad. Thanks for reading and please vote and comment all of your feedback below.