Siren (short story)

Ringing in my ears, a siren wakes me up, my blood pumping at an abnormal rate. A literal siren, I know that. She sings so softly, yet the notes to her melodies hit my eardrums like the loudest base in the world. She calls for me, so my body responds and gets up from bed, following the unknown song that felt so familiar to my heart. Captivated in her estate, I exit the house I thought was safe from these fiends, making my way down to the shore. The waves are harsh on the rocks that point upwards, ready to pierce any unknown creature to come visit my lighthouse.

Yet that unknown creature sits on top of one of the rocks, mocking my failed safety measures. Her blue, jet black hair is dancing with the heavy winds of the night, her green eyes sparkling with the moon that barely shines tonight. Her mouth is agape as she keeps humming her melodies of deceit, pulling me closer despite knowing her true intentions.

"Sailor, you have come to my voice." She thinks she's got me, but the only reason I've come is because of her cursed voice. Her smile is familiar, and I now know why her melodies seemed so familiar to my heart yet remained unknown. "Sirens turning girls into other sirens... Didn't think it was possible." She tilts her head in confusion, she must not recognize me. "Sailor, you must be dazed by my singing." I shake my head as I stare up at her. Her smile twitches as she notices I have not completely fallen for her tricks. Her tail waved in the air before I spoke. "You must not remember your human life. I know you."

Her eyes grow dark as she places her hands on the rock, almost readying herself to jump off. "All my prey ends dead. You cannot know me, sailor." I shake my head. "Raven. That's your name. You disappeared seven months ago." She blinks in the midst of her confusion, so I step forward, clutching at my pockets. As long as I kept my hands to myself, she can't get a hold of me.

She is quiet; odd for a siren to just grow silent. The wind howls louder than before, the moon is covered by the stormy, grey clouds, and the rocks have been showered by the salty water. I see the gears turning in her head as her eyes shake. "Your family misses you." Her gaze looks up and for the first time ever, I see a siren's eyes look soft. "Family?" I step closer, nodding yet keeping my eyes on her. Closer, I see the cuts on her stomach that look like what may be a spearfishing accident.

Her skin is duller than I remember her being, and her green eyes now have a yellow undertone to them: demonic almost. "Let me help you. Let me get you back to your people." As I extend my hand towards her, she backs away, hands crossed over her chest, something that seemed so familiar to me. "How do I know you?" I give my best smile possible as I point at myself. "I was yours."

As easy as that, she slowly un-tightens the grip she has over her own arms and sits up to extend her hand towards mine. Her hand shakes in fear but I quickly grab her and tighten her unto an embrace. Her body shivers at the contact of my own, as her skin is cold as ice and mine easily confused for a fever.

She hums and her hands reach for my back, but as she readies herself to speak, a yelp escapes her body instead. I've prepared for the day that I'd face one of these beasts, let it be my ex turned into one, I always carry a knife with my sleeping clothes. I pull the knife out her back, her body following it. Her eyes have turned dull as they tear up, gasping for air. I smile. "I said I was yours."