Love Kills (short story)

The weather felt like an early morning at the beach; breeze teasing and gentle on our skin, sunlight peeking through the horizon, the warmth bringing us closer to each other. Our location and serenity didn't reside at the beach. Instead, we sat on your balcony, enjoying each other's company. The silence between us was comfortable and no actual words needed to be exchanged. We could just look at each other and know what we were thinking: "The pool guy has been down there for quite a while."

The two of us stand up and look down the balcony and onto the pool. The pool guy had been hired not too long ago, maybe a few weeks ago. I had joked around before about the odds of the old man passing out and falling onto the pool, but I never expected it to become reality. Staring down onto his body floating on his stomach, arose panic on the both of us. "Oh god..." You grabbed onto my hand and pulled me down the stairs with you, stumbling our way down to the pool.

What a beautiful day it was. The sky was clear, the few clouds around being pure white. The water by the pier was calm even for the high water season. The only splashing around was you jumping into the pool to save what we knew was already a dead man, hoping it wasn't true. Pulling out my phone, I quickly dial-up 911. I describe the situation to the operator as you pulled the poor man out of the pool. "She says we should do CPR." You shook your head. "I don't know how to perform CPR. Do you?" I ask the operator for help but her instructions are unclear and I can't help but just stare at the man that isn't breathing that lays at my feet.

In mockery, I see how the statues by the edge of the pool stare at us. They know we were too busy staring into each other's eyes to know of the man that died on our premises. They knew of our loving words and funny remarks being whispered because our love was more important to remain secret than the life lost here today. Our love was dangerous to those around us with our selfish ways, yet we were too blinded to see that even as the ambulance carried the pool guy away.

On your balcony, as the breeze teased at our skin, but its gentle touch was missed. As the sunlight peered through the horizon, yet the warmth went dead cold. Our location and serenity had almost gone astray, as we lost our sense of place and our calm estate had grown to a small panic of what we had unknowingly done. The silence between us had grown louder than any sound and no actual words needed to be exchanged. We could just look at each other and know exactly what we were thinking: "Our love killed someone today."