Chapter 7

Amanda's POV

Whack!

Amanda's fist connected with Ellie's nose, and it broke. She sneered, "That should wipe that stupid smirk off your face, Bitch," while massaging her now aching fist.

Cindy and Chris entered the room at that very moment, breaking the tense silence. Amanda continued to avoid looking at Clair, but she could feel his eyes on her.

"Oh my God, she broke my nose, my precious nose," Ellie cried pitifully, sprawled on the floor and seeking Sinclair's attention amidst the blood on her face. Amanda winced, feeling a sudden pang of regret for her actions, though she didn't show it just yet.

"I'm going to sue you! I'm calling the cops on you!! You're going to regret ever stepping your feet back into this town," Amanda continued to screech, as Sinclair, who hadn't uttered a word until now, finally moved and picked her up. She immediately buried her face in his chest, weeping and clutching at his hands.

Amanda couldn't bear to watch anymore. Her eyes welled up, but she didn't want these two individuals to see her at her worst. She needed her son.

Turning away, Cindy stood right behind her, and Amanda was grateful for her presence. Cindy gave her a weak smile and said, "I'm sorry. We should do something about your hands. Chris has already grabbed your purse, so let's go."

              Here is baby Cadence

The small crowd was still watching them, probably trying to speculate on who she was. She thought to herself, "I messed up. I messed up big time." But still, the crunch of Ellie's nose beneath her fist was so satisfying. It had been satisfying, and it effectively erased that look on her face.

Following Cindy and Chris back out, she tried to drown the sound of Ellie's howling into Sinclair's chest and the image of his hands on her back, trying to comfort her. Seeing them together stung more than she had imagined it would. 

A huge sense of déjà vu washed over her.

She hadn't thought they would still be together after all these years because Ellie wasn't Sinclair's type. Or so she had thought. This simply meant that Sinclair truly loved her. So, why weren't they married already?

******************

SINCLAIR

Amanda having already left the club with Chris and Cindy, Sinclair informed Ellie that it was time for her to leave too, as he had a meeting coming up. To be honest, he had cold feet about Chris' wedding because he didn't know how he would handle seeing Amanda again. The sight of her on the CCTV had caused his heart to palpitate, and now, she was just a few feet away from him in his club.

He knew he wouldn't handle having her so close very well. Mixed emotions swirled within him - hurt, love, joy, and sadness all at once. But he had to be strong for Chris. He couldn't disappoint his best friend for a woman who didn't care about him.