28

Lidia and José sat on their rear deck looking out at the night sky. The stars shined through the pollution from the nearby city as the light to the earth below. José took a sip of his drink as Lidia spoke.

"I've never seen him this dedicated to anything in his life."

José nodded.

"Maybe he's turned a corner," she continued. "Maybe he's finally found what he's been looking for."

"You mean a girl?" asked José playfully.

Lidia smacked his arm then paused in thought.

"Maybe," she said. "But there have been other girls."

"It's different when you find the one though." He smiled at his wife and she felt the love emanating from him.

"Is it?' she teased. "It must be different for girls."

"Ouch." He feigned like he'd been stabbed in the heart.

Lidia looked at him with adoration. How had she been so lucky to get a man like this? She only wished her son would grow to be half the man her husband was.

She wondered what she would ever do without him. If suddenly he were taken from her life. Would she end up like Alex's father, or worse?

She was lost in thought when a shooting star crossed the sky.

"Make a wish," José said.

She snapped out of her trance, "Huh?"

"A shooting star. Make a wish."

"I wish our son would find a relationship as good as ours."

José held up his drink in salute before he took a sip and stared off into the depths of space.

***