3

The morning sun reflected off of the white curved façade of the Miami City Ballet building. Alex paused on her way in to admire the artistically sculpted lines. They reminded her of the graceful movements of the dancers who got to work here. Mustering her courage, she pushed through the front door. She passed a dancers' lounge, auditoriums and rehearsal spaces as she wandered down a hallway lined with photographs from past performances.

She paused at one to inspect it closer. Something about the dancer in the photo was familiar. She struggled to hold back tears as she recognized her mother. She had never seen this picture and it took her by surprise to see it here, though she knew it shouldn't. Her mother had been very talented and well loved, she knew, but here was proof; hanging in a hall of fame of sorts. She gathered her emotions and began to move on until a group of young dancers in leotards and tutus burst out of a studio ahead of her. They rushed past her, entered another door and were gone. The soft sound of their slippered feet padding on the floor receded as the door closed behind them.

Alex remembered the thrill of being a little girl at a dance studio; the pure joy that came from being able to express herself through movement. It felt so right, natural. Until everything turned upside down. She collected her thoughts as she came across the door marked as: Artistic Director, Lidia Rodriguez.

She sucked up her courage and knocked.

"Come in." A woman's voice called from inside and Alex entered.

The office was lined with framed promotional materials from a variety of shows. Reminiscent of the hallway, the decoration emphasized the illustrious history of the company and featured years of productions. Alex was hesitant to look at the images too closely for fear of seeing her mother again. An attractive woman, Lidia, with distinctive red framed glasses sat behind a desk littered with figurines of cats: large cats, small cats, art deco cats, cats stretching, cats playing, cats, cats, cats. A pair of empty chairs and a small couch lent a softer touch to the office.

She looked up expectantly as Alex entered the room.

"Mrs. Rodriguez?" Alex asked nervously.

Lidia raised an eyebrow in acknowledgement and Alex forged on, "I'm Alex. Alex Moorefield."

A shock of recognition played across Lidia's face as she saw her old friend Chantelle Moorefield reflected in this girl's youthful face. She didn't try to hide her surprise and it was immediately followed with a warm smile, "I haven't seen you since you were one. You were just learning to stand at that point. Looks like you mastered it."

She got up and came around the desk, wrapping Alex in a giant hug. Alex weakly responded, unsure of what to do. It seemed like an invasion of her personal space, but she wasn't sure she minded.

"I'm so sorry about your mother." She said as she released Alex to get a better look at her. "Chantelle and I danced together before you were born you know. How's your father? Is he with you?"

"Mom mentioned you a few times. That's one reason I stopped by."

Lidia nodded, "How old are you now?"

"Eighteen."

"You dance?"

Alex nodded, "I was hoping I might audition for the school. The pre-professional program? See if I could get a scholarship?"

Lidia leaned against her desk and motioned for Alex to sit. She settled into an empty chair while Lidia looked her over more carefully; the wrinkled clothing, the backpack, the dirt that would normally be washed off of a teenage girl... "We aren't having any auditions until spring. Are you able to wait that long?"

Alex stared at her feet, "I'm kinda on my own here."

"Your father?"

Alex shook her head, "Doesn't know where I am and I don't want him to." A small fire simmered behind her eyes emphasizing the pointed response.

Lidia caught on quickly and raised her hands in surrender, "Got it. Listen, even if I could get you an audition. Even if you got in. You'd have to pay for it if you didn't get a scholarship."

"I want to be a professional dancer. Like my mother. I'll do whatever it takes. If you get me an audition I can handle the rest."

"Where are you staying?"

Alex shrugged, "I've got a room for now at one of those long stay motels. I was hoping to stay in student housing." She looked at her feet.

Lidia looked concerned and asked, "You have some money?"

"A little," Alex answered, "left from my mom's life insurance."

Lidia flinched, "Enough to get you through to spring?"

Alex shrugged again. "I hadn't thought about needing it that long. I guess I need to reconsider some things."

"Why don't you come to dinner at my place tonight? We could talk more. Here's my address." She scribbled on a yellow sticky note and passed it to her, "Six?"

"Okay, thanks." Alex got up to leave. She felt dejected and her body language showed it.

Lidia's heart hurt for this young girl. She had no mother and her father was clearly not an option, maternal instincts took over. She could tell Alex needed something, anything to hold on to at that moment, "Do you want to see the school before you go?"

Alex perked up at the opportunity, "I'd like that."

***