20

Jason pushed Alex in a wheelchair through the parking lot of the hospital as the Miami sun warmed her soul and lifted her spirits. Crutches rested across her lap as he propelled her towards his car. It had been a few days since news of her father had left her absolutely broken; separated. No surgery was going to help her heart heal. But then there was Jason. He hadn't left the hospital for more than a shower in the days that she had been cooped up there. What stability she felt was because of his constant presence.

"I can use the crutches you know," she said.

"The doctors said the more you stay off of your leg the better, right?" he said. "Plus, this is more fun."

Alex sighed, then giggled, as he spun the rows of parked cars like a drift racer until they arrived at his. It was good to laugh.

She climbed to her feet using the crutches, like they'd showed her in physical therapy, after Jason had locked the wheels on the chair. It wasn't easy. Recovery was going to hard and take a while. Jason ran to open the car door for her.

"Now you're opening doors for me?" she teased. "I should've crippled myself sooner."

"Nah," he smiled back at her, "I just figured if you're going to be staying in the same house as me we'd better get started off on the right – I mean left foot." He giggled at his bad pun and Alex rolled her eyes.

"Funny."

"Because your right leg is-"

Alex cut him off. "I get it," she said. "Just don't repeat it."

Alex glanced back at the hospital before ducking into the car and starting to fasten her seatbelt. As Jason struggled to find a way to get the wheelchair into the vehicle she was surprised by the memory of her mother in the hospital, just after the accident.

She'd gone with her father and when he'd left the room she stood next to her mother. Tubes protruded from her mouth and her pulse beat on the machines that were keeping her alive, but she wasn't awake. Wasn't aware. Alex squeezed her hand. No response.

"Mom, wake up," she begged. "It's me, Alex."

Just a slow beeping in the background answered her.

"I need you to be okay. If I'm going to be a dancer like you I need you to help me," she cried. "And for that, you need to be here."

The memory faded as her mother had throughout that night until they were both no more.

Alex's grief caught her by off guard, she was unaware that something so simple might trigger it. Maybe it was because she was feeling so vulnerable and helpless right now. Overwhelming sadness pushed on her no matter how hard she tried to put it out of her mind.

She thought about all of the good things that were happening. In the midst of this crisis, Lidia and José had offered her their guest room until she was able to get back on her feet, literally. It was like she had a new family. And Jason was sweet, attentive. She really liked him and he seemed to really like her. But what if "living together" made them feel more like brother and sister? She didn't want that. She wanted romance. She wanted to be the dancer who was dating the passionate poet who acted from his heart instead of his head. What if that went away now too?

She was silent as he got in and started the engine.

"You okay?" he asked.

She nodded and he patted her hand... he patted her hand. She knew it was supposed to comfort her, but it just seemed to confirm what she was thinking and she had to look out of the window to avoid bursting into tears again. Great, she'd gone from never wanting to cry to being the girl who cried all the time. Not optimal relationship material.

"Just thinking about my dad," she lied.

Jason nodded and pulled out, heading home.

Lidia stood in the doorway of her guest room watching Alex gently sit on the bed and lean her crutches on the wall next to her. Alex looked around the room. There was a dresser with a mirror like the one she had back home, the bed, and a nightstand with a small lamp and a cat figurine. Alex picked up the feline; it was a black and white tuxedo cat playing with a pickle. She chuckled.

Lidia smiled. "I thought he could keep you company."

"Thanks," said Alex. "I really appreciate you letting me stay here."

"There were times, when I was dancing, that I needed people to be there for me," replied Lidia. "Your mother was always the first to help. And we just want to see you back on your feet."

Alex groaned and rolled her eyes, "You too? There's got to be something genetic with the humor."

Lidia feigned shock, "What?"

"You and Jason and the corny jokes." Alex chuckled as did Lidia.

"You remind me so much of your mother. It will be a pleasure to have you around," said Lidia. "Plus, we could talk about girl things. I never had a girl in the house to share with." She smiled at Alex with affection.

Jason arrived behind Lidia, pushing the empty wheelchair. "Come on, Mom. You're going to scare her away," he said. "This already has to be weird enough."

Lidia stepped aside so Jason could get into the room.

"Thanks."

He parked the chair beside the bed. "You need anything just let me know."

"I will, thanks."

Lidia put her hand on her son's shoulder as she spoke to Alex, "Why don't we let you get settled in some before dinner."

Alex nodded and the two left. She sighed heavily and looked out the window at the clear blue sky. The sun cast its rays into her room and everything seemed a little bit brighter. She pulled the photo of her mother out of her bag and placed it on the nightstand, next to the cat.

"This isn't quite what we expected, is it?"

Alex tried to stand and winced in pain. She hopped on one foot over to the wheelchair and plopped down into it. She ran her hands down the arms and onto the wheels for a spin.

"Looks like we're partners for a while," she said. "I guess we should get used to each other." She spun the chair around the bed and sat at the window, letting the sunlight splash down on her.

***