14

On the way back to Miami, they rode in silence and Alex once more stared at the ground zipping by beneath her through the hole in the car's floor. They hadn't really spoken other than formalities. Alex wasn't mad, not really. She just felt alone. She didn't have any friends here. No family. Jason seemed like the only one who wanted to get to know her at all. And he didn't get it. He couldn't.

"I'm sorry," Jason finally broke the tension that had built between them. "I didn't understand. I don't know what it's like. But I want to."

She looked over at him. "No you don't. No one should know what it's like to lose their mother."

"No, not that..." he stammered. "I want to know how you feel. No, I don't want to know how you feel. I mean, I want to know how you're feeling... about everything. I want to be there for you. Here, I want to be here for you." He palmed his face as he struggled to find the right words. His difficulty was refreshing and endearing to Alex and she felt the tension leaving her body as she relaxed. Maybe he was who she'd hoped he was.

"I get it," she gave him a small smile. "Now watch the road, you're drifting."

He steered back into the center of his lane. "I really do want to help you."

She nodded.

"And I think I know a way to get you seen by the committee," he said.

"What are you talking about?"

"The Director said you need to be seen by the whole committee, right?" he said. "Well, I've been thinking about it all week."

"But he said no. And your mother couldn't even help get me a look."

"I know. But every year the school hosts a student showcase for all the local dance companies. The students in it have to do everything. Music selection, choreography, lighting, dancing. I've never done it before."

"And?" Alex's curiosity was piqued as she began to see where he was going with this.

"This separates the dancers from the choreographers, the administrators from the artistic directors. It gives everyone a chance to find their niche."

"And the whole staff watches," Alex finished for him practically bursting.

"You stole my thunder," he accused her. "But yes, that's the general idea. And you could be my partner for the showcase."

Alex sank back in her seat. "But I'm not a student."

"The students are in charge, remember. I'm in charge of my performance. I pick who I dance with. But there is one condition." He looked grave. "We don't do ballet."

"But it's a ballet school," Alex protested.

"I don't want to dance ballet, remember."

"But, I do."

"I know, but this is my showcase as much as a chance for you," he said. "They'll see you dance. They'll watch your technique. It'll work... I think."

She paused and turned away from him to take a moment to reflect on the opportunity. The light clouds in the clear blue sky seemed to dance in a gentle breeze as the car sped down the highway. The world was full of hope, for the first time in a long time. She could see a future. Maybe it would work. This could be everything she'd been searching for; a way in. A way to honor her mother. She turned to him, "Where could we practice?"

"The Pendulum. I bet I can get the space when they're not open during the day. They like me."

She grinned at him as the pieces began to fall into place, "What's not to like?"

He smiled back, "Plus, I have to do it this year so I can graduate."

"Why do I suddenly feel like I'm being played again?"

"I'm not playing you," he laughed. "But I am getting what I want."

"What's that?"

"To dance with you again," he said.

She punched him in the arm.

He put his hands up in surrender. "But you get seen by all the right people."

"How long do we have?"

"A few months. It's a Christmas showcase."

"That's not much time."

He nodded and smiled triumphantly, "We better get started."

***