4

A taxi pulled up to the curb in front of a small, well landscaped home. A lone palm tree occupied the front yard, reminding Alex of a postcard image of Florida as she climbed out of the back seat and slung her backpack over her shoulder.

The cab drove off leaving Alex indecisive on the sidewalk until Lidia opened the front door with a welcoming smile. Alex smiled back and made her way to the entrance.

"I'm sorry," said Lidia, "I didn't realize you didn't have a car. I would have given you a ride from the school."

"That's okay," Alex shrugged, "I need to learn my way around."

Lidia moved aside so Alex could enter. She gently set her bag just inside the door as she took off her shoes. The house was simple and warm. Not overly ornate or pretentious; cozy. It reminded her of home, before.

She looked around, searching.

"The bathroom is in the hall if you need to use it."

"Oh, uh... no, thanks." Alex blushed. "I like cats and I was just looking for yours."

"We don't have one." Lidia smiled.

"But you have all of those cat figurines in your office?"

"I'm allergic." She ushered Alex into the kitchen. "Sometimes you can admire and love something that you can't have. I love cats. So sleek and graceful. I just can't own one. You work with what you have." She shrugged and Smiled at Alex.

In the kitchen, a well-built man in his late 40s, with a shock of black hair, worked at the stove top. His apron proudly proclaimed him "chef". The smell of roasting plantains permeated the air.

"This is my husband, José." Lidia motioned for Alex to sit at the table as she introduced her to her husband. "This is Alex."

He wiped his hands on his apron and walked over to shake Alex's hand. "I hope you like Cuban food."

"I don't think I've ever had Cuban food before."

"Then your life has yet to begin." He smiled at her.

Lidia smiled too, "He's an excellent cook."

"It's one of my passions," he said.

"What's the other one?" asked Alex.

"My wife." He winked at Alex and smiled mischievously towards his wife.

Alex felt awkward, she couldn't remember the last time her parents were together like this. Her memories were all of her father's downward spiral after the accident. Fast food and garbage. Not cooking and enjoying each other's company. She thought about finding an excuse to bail out, but the joy of the moment drew her in. Is this what family was supposed to be like? What she missed out on? Why couldn't she have had this? Maybe she didn't have it with her family, but she could have it now, "Can I help?"

José looked at her surprised, "You want to cook?"

She nodded.

"Get this girl an apron."

Lidia opened a drawer and grabbed two aprons. She handed one to Alex. They pitched in and helped prepare the food. José slid some vegetables Alex's way and handed her a knife. She immediately got to work chopping while Lidia tossed some spices into a pan. Alex got lost in the moment. There was playful banter between Lidia and José while they cooked. They displayed affection like she remembered her parents having when she was little. It wasn't always awful. They used to have fun together. Her mother's laugh would ring throughout the house and her eyes would sparkle with such joy. And her father... he used to chase her around and play fight with her. He was gentle and kind, like José. She missed them both terribly. It was like they all died in that accident. She shook herself loose from the memories in time to add the vegetables to a pan.

The three of them sat at a table full of empty dishes; very little remained of the evening meal. Their aprons were haphazardly strewn about the kitchen and Alex soaked in as much of the moment as she could, letting it build in her memory so she could hold onto it. Just for a little longer.

"Listen," Lidia got serious for a moment. "I talked to the director of the school. He won't make any exceptions for auditions. I'm sorry. I really tried."

Alex sunk into herself as tears sought to break free. She's didn't cry, not anymore. She stopped doing that, but right now she wasn't sure she could hold it together. She just wanted to have something to keep her going. Her world had been so bleak, but this time with Lidia and José showed her what life could be. She had bet everything on getting in to the dance school. It was her ticket to this kind of life. It was her destiny.

José put his arm across her shoulders, "It'll be okay."

She wanted to shrug him off, but she wanted him to embrace her in a fatherly hug too. Just to remember what that was like. "This was all I had. It was everything."

"It's not that long of a wait." He tried to comfort her with a gentle squeeze. "You can come back and audition with everyone else. I'm sure you'll make it in." He shared a helpless look with his wife.

Alex scrubbed at her eyes with the back of her hand. "I promised her," she said. "She was laying there looking at me, holding my hand. I promised her I'd be just like she was."

"You still can," said Lidia. "Just not--"

The front door slammed. "What's for dinner?" A young man interrupted as he walked into the kitchen. He stopped cold in his tracks as he looked at his parents, their expressions, then at Alex. He carefully controlled his surprise at finding her there. She looked back, shocked at his sudden appearance. She was momentarily frozen.

José stood up and put his hands on Jason's shoulders. "This is our son, Jason." He looked at Alex, "This is Alex."

Lidia chimed in, "Jason is a student at the school. Maybe he can give you some insider information."

"We've actually met." Alex responded.

Jason joined in almost too quickly, "I saw her at the school today, actually."

Alex was confused, but knew when to stop talking. There was more going on here than she was aware of and she was going to wait and find out before she spoke again.

"I don't remember introducing you?" Lidia said.

"It must've been when you weren't around," he lied.

"You missed dinner."

"I had things to take care of."

José put a hand on his wife's shoulder and she stopped interrogating her son. Silence encompassed them and tension filled the room.

"Thank you for a lovely evening," Alex said as she stood to leave. "I should head out."

"Let me drive you." Lidia offered.

"That's okay. I think I'd like to walk around a little bit."

"You sure?"

"I like to wander."

As they got to the door Jason grabbed her bag. "I'll drive you. It's dark. Miami's not safe at night by yourself."

"Really, I'll be okay."

"Aren't you going to eat?" Lidia asked.

He glanced at his parents and the remaining dregs of food, "I'll grab something when I'm out."

Lidia frowned and folded her arms.

Jason looked back at Alex. "Let me show you around," he pleaded with his eyes. "I'll give you the grand tour." Alex could feel Lidia and José watching them.

She spoke through clenched teeth and a fake smile, "Sure. That would be fun."

She headed out of the door with Jason right behind her.