27

The sun had set over Miami and the school building was all but abandoned. Empty except for Alex and Jason, who occupied a classroom with a full wall of mirrors and smooth wood floor. The harsh fluorescent lights reminded them of the cold assessment they would receive at the showcase should their plans fail. But they weren't about to give up.

A dark, hypnotic beat thrummed from the sound system as Alex spun her chair rapidly until Jason caught the handles and gave her a shove. The chair glided across the floor. Jason ran after and, as Alex spun to face him, he planted a foot on one arm and leapt high into the air. Alex watched the graceful arc as he crossed over her.

He twirled around the chair and executed a handstand with his legs split as Alex guided the chair through a slow circle. Then he returned to his feet only to collapse to the ground as the chair rolled over him, wheels passed by his sides and he rose behind Alex again and pranced towards her.

They continued for hours trying different movements and combinations; trying to find the right ones that would work. Jason lifted Alex from the chair and tossed her into the air where she twirled before he caught her clumsily. Over and over they attempted the move until they were both exhausted and took a break.

"We've been at this for weeks," she said as she gingerly climbed out of her chair and plopped down on the floor.

Jason grabbed their water bottles then sat next to her, "I know." He wiped the sweat from his face with his shirt. Alex couldn't help but notice his exposed six-pack.

"I can't say it hasn't been fun." She smiled at him and he returned the gesture.

"Not much longer and it will all be over," he said.

"How's your surprise coming along?"

He tapped his temple, "It's all here."

"I think we need some help. I can't do what I want to," Alex said. "We need another girl."

"You're doing fine."

She shook her head, "I'm not. I can't pull it off if I can't land. It's too much to expect you to be able to catch me after that."

"Then we do something else."

"No, we need to blow them away. Do something they've never seen," she said. "We need another girl."

"You know someone?"

She shook her head, "You do."

"Who?"

She looked at him knowingly until realization slowly dawned on him, "Come on. You want me to ask Joy?"

"She'll do it for you."

"I know she will. And she'll hold it over me forever," he said, whining just a bit. "Do you know how many years I've avoided being her partner?"

"You should be nice to girls who like you."

"I am being nice, by not leading her on."

"I'm not asking you to lead her on. I'm suggesting we ask her to dance with us."

Jason sighed heavily, "Fine."

"And we need someone to control the lights for us."

"You've got grand ideas, don't you?"

She smiled at him.

"I'll ask Markus to run the lights. He liked you."

"You're sweet."

"Like sugar?"

She shook her head, "Saccharine."

They both laughed and he playfully shoved her over, "You're mean."

She sat up and shoved him back. He grabbed her and pulled her on top of him as he fell over.

"Hey, we've got work to do."

"You know what they say about all work and no play."

"It makes you a cliché?"

He feigned being stabbed in the heart, "I live to be cliché."

She gave him quick kiss then climbed off of him, "Time to dance." She patted him on the thigh and climbed into her chair.

He tossed his towel aside.

***