Chapter 23

Robin informed Killian to stay put until he could organize a discreet exit. The last thing they needed was a half drunk Killian Jones dashing out of the benefit like a crazed maniac. The press would have a field day.

Killian had instantly dialed Emma's number. He gave pleasant yet forced smiles to guests as he waited for her to pick up. The wait was excruciating.

You've reached Emma...

He quickly redialed. Killian called her phone at least half a dozen times...all with no response. Each time he felt his heart rate increase, his stomach twist and his lips quickly turned down into a frown.

Tired of waiting he turned to the bartender, "Pen?"

Killian scribbled a quick note on a napkin and flagged down a server. He pointed out Miranda and gave strict instructions for the note to be delivered in 10 minutes. It should be enough time for him to slip away without causing a nasty scene.

He was feeling incredibly impatient and wasn't sure if he could wait for Robin. The need to find Emma and protect her was overwhelming. It was overwriting his need to protect his reputation and that of the company.

Killian's phone tingled with a text message.

"Meet me at the loading docks."

Robin's message could not have come any sooner and Killian was instantly striding purposefully across the ballroom. He quickly pushed open the staff access doors and made his way into the kitchen area. He wasn't worried about being stealthy just getting the hell out of here.

Killian pulled up Graham's number on his phone as he dodged his way past the kitchen staff and equipment.

"Pick up. Pick up. Pick up." He muttered over and over, hoping that the chanting would grant his wish.

It didn't. The call went straight to Graham's mail box.

Killian stashed his phone and pulled aside one of the chef's.

"Where are the loading docks?"

The directions were a great help as he had been flying blind in his haste.

Robin was waiting for him on the concrete loading platform.

"Where's the car mate?" Killian questioned his friend impatiently. There were only catering trucks and a couple of white vans.

His head of security gave him a cheeky grin and pointed. Killian's eyes followed and landed on one of the non-descript white vans.

"Really?"

"You needed a fast way out but you also need discretion." Robin told him with a chuckle.

"Not good enough for the mighty Killian Jones?"

Killian ignored the jab and moved towards the vehicle, he was sick of wasting time.

"Get in."

__________________________________________________

Between the confrontation with David and the emotional turmoil with Killian, Emma was keen to let off a bit of steam.

"Does Killian have a gym?"

"Down the hall." Graham indicated with a flick of his head. He'd been quiet all evening and Emma was glad he hadn't tried to prod her for information. She had a hell of a day and didn't need the ribbing or the heart to hearts.

Emma quickly changed into her reliable workout gear and snatched up her iPod and headphones.

Killian's gym was extremely well equipped. It came with several cardio machines, weights and a hanging punching bag. All of this was impressive but Emma's eyes were immediately drawn to the array of melee weapons that studded one of the walls. Knives, swords and staffs were among her favorite training weapons and she noted that she would need to coerce Graham into a duel later on.