Chapter 19

Emma knew that the only way forward with a scumbag like Gold was to hit him where it hurt - his wallet. What they needed to do was cut off his trade with Corsair's and force him to make a mistake. It was easier said then done because Gold was smart and always one step ahead! The fact that no one ever saw him and that he had managed to work effectively from the shadows was a testament to his intelligence and skills.

Sitting on the edge of the bed in the morning light allowed Emma to really take in the sumptuous guest room. Like the rest of the apartment everything was superbly decorated and expensive! The ensuite was bigger than her kitchen in her apartment - another thing that emphasised the giant chasm between hers and Killian's lifestyles.

It felt strange being cared for by Killian, it had been so long that Emma had forgotten what it felt like . Yes - She had colleagues and 'friends' but none of them had gone to the lengths Killian had! If she took the time to really think about it she would admit that she found the whole protective thing very sexy. That aside, Emma hated not being able to tell Killian the truth and therefore show him just how capable she was of taking care of herself.

Emma smirked as a mental image of her physically showing Killian her moves entered her head. It would definitely satisfy the alpha female within her and curb some of her more basic urges. She was by no means a virgin but men were fleeting and something she used to satiate her basic needs. The 'flings' were always quick, in the dark and most importantly - on her terms.

Killian ignited something in her that she wasn't quite sure she'd ever tasted before. It wasn't a pleasant feeling to be so unnerved by someone - especially when she had spent so much time building her walls up.

Being in his space was slowly ramping up her hormones and if there was one thing that could screw the fragile balance of her life - it was him! She needed to close this case and put as much distance between her and Killian as possible. Things were fine in her life and that was how it was going to stay!

Glancing around from her position on the bed, the dim light filtering into the room told Emma that it was still quite early. She hadn't bothered undressing last night and now her clothes were wrinkled beyond repair. A small pile sitting neatly on the dresser caught her eye and she easily reached out to investigate. A worn cotton shirt and oversized sweat pants had obviously been placed there for her. Emma pulled the clothes on, catching a faint whiff of what she identified as Killian's scent. Her heart warmed slightly at his thoughtfulness but her head pushed the feelings aside as she noted that it was because of him she was stuck here.

She loved these types of comfy clothes and quickly scraped her hair up into a messy bun.

'Done!' She thought proudly to herself. She would duck back up for a lengthy hot shower after she had grabbed some coffee and a bite to eat.

Moving quietly downstairs, Emma had a quick peek around. It was eerily still, the silence defeating as she realized Killian must still be asleep.

An image of his dark, unruly hair and toned body relaxing in bed flashed unbidden through her mind. A quick flick of her head and the image disappeared.

Emma made her way down an unfamiliar hallway that branched off the living room. She pushed open several doors, having a good sticky beak before she found something interesting.

True to his word, Killian had set up an area in which she could work and therefore didn't need to leave the apartment. The room was kitted out with printers, laptops, external hard drives and portable tablets. There was also several piles of files neatly stacked on the edge of a desk.

'When did he do this?' Emma thought curiously. It obviously paid to be powerful - everything at ones fingertips. It took Emma at least 1 working day to get any resources delivered to her office and that was after she had resorted to harassed and begged. The delay wasn't too much of a hassle and was something she had learnt to deal with but when you wanted to get cracking on a case, it could feel like forever!