Chapter 14

Emma gingerly pulled her blouse on and tried not to wince at the aches that spread throughout her body. She easily tucked it into her high waisted skirt, which had taken a ridiculous amount of time to struggle into.

Graham had assured her that any help she needed, he would be able to provide immediate assistance. Emma had felt a blush warm her cheeks at the thought of his 'help' and had quickly reassured him that she was fully capable.

'Fully capable,' the thought nearly made her laugh as she reached for her pain killers and water bottle.

Emma had allowed herself extra time to prepare having been in this situation before. The extra time hadn't really helped and she found herself dangerously close to running late. Graham would start having a fit if he knew that the 'schedule' may be running a little behind. She whipped her head forward and flicked it quickly back so she could gather her hair into a sleek pony tail.

He had insisted that they sit together and work through her daily schedule. Emma knew he was trying to find choke points and high risk areas. It was a very professional and  smart strategy, something she would do herself. She had already minimized her own risks when taking this assignment, never taking the same route to work and using cash as much as possible.

If she made things difficult with Graham then Killian would instantly be breathing down her neck. A visual of him doing just that popped into her head and she found the thought pleasant rather than terrifying. Goosebumps tingled down her back and heat curled in her stomach.

A knock sounded on her door, "Emma, are you ready?"

Graham had been given his own work space and left Emma at the executive lift doors. The security risks at the office were extremely low and she was allowed some freedom to move around alone.

Emma hobbled to her desk and practically threw her belongings down. Sinking into her seat she let out a long moan of relief. It was only 8.30am and she already felt like today was going to be one of the  longest of her life.

"Excuse me?" A soft voice questioned inquisitively from the door. Emma glanced up and noticed Mary-Margaret standing in the door frame with a steaming mug.

"Emma!?" recognition flooded Mary-Margaret's face, "You should be at home!"

"I think I am a little too dedicated," Emma smiled repeating the words Graham had told her yesterday. "I'd also be bored."

"I was assigned to cover your work," Mary-Margaret placed her mug in front of Emma. It was steaming hot-chocolate with a marshmallow and cinnamon delicately sprinkled.

She started to protest but Mary-Margaret simply shook her head, "I will make another when I get back downstairs. You look like you need it."

"Miss Blanchard," Killian's voice boomed from the intercom. She glanced at Emma and indicated silently that she was going to leave. Emma gave a small wave and reclined back in the chair, ignoring Killian's voice.

Emma knew it wouldn't take Killian long to investigate why he was being ignored.

"Is the damn intercom not..." his voice trailed off as he recognized the blonde perched behind the desk. A thunderous look crossed his face in an instant.

"Swan?"

"No! No!" His words were short and to the point. Dark shadows and wrinkled clothes implied Killian hadn't had the best night's sleep. He was usually so impeccable and Emma felt a stab of guilt.

"Yes! Tough luck." She responded just as stubbornly. Killian strode rapidly to her desk and slammed his hands down with a loud thump. He didn't say anything but Emma could see the fury seeping out of his pores as his eyes drilled into her skull.