CHAPTER 27 [EDITED]

VERMON

The surprise was still in my mind when I took notice of the messages.

Valentine Godfrey, out of everyone notifying me about her disappearance.

"What just happened?" I snorted at the sound coming from behind me. Of course, of freaking course, Zedkiel was still pretending that he didn't just see me change completely in front of his eyes.

"The Coven was attacked. She's gone. Did you delete my messages, Zedkiel?" My voice was supposed to make him flinch but all it did was made him frown.

"You never listen to me, Vermon. What do you want me to do?" He gritted out, his eyes on me. "You look..."

"This is my true form."

There, I said it.

If I was in a good mood, I'd definitely laugh at the face he was making now. But I didn't have time to wonder why he was acting so weird. The coven was attacked and she was missing. That should be my concern now. Though before I could take another step, he shoved me with anger blazing over his gaze.

"Oh for devil's sake, please tell me, you aren't the same Mikhail she mentioned earlier."

I laughed, the bitter tone not going unnoticed. "Vermon Mikhail Hernandez, yeah, I got a mouthful of names. Get over it. It's a constant battle of what's right and wrong when it comes to her, Zedkiel. She's my beloved yet she never opens up to me or anything. How could I know that fate just didn't make a mistake? I needed you to tell me that she didn't kill those people while she was still human. I needed something, anything to make myself believe that I wasn't running after a lost cause."

"Oh, fuck." He cursed, rubbing his forehead. "I thought she had a beloved. A seeker...you're one. Of course, your mother opened the gate of hell for me. You two are from the same bloodline. How could I be that stupid?"

"I'm a Seeker, I get it but I can control myself around her. She also has control, I've seen it."

"I'm older than you kid, I've seen things. You might have control but devil forbid if there's a time when you have no choice but to kill her what would you do? And I'm not talking about choices. Some things can't be avoided." He said deadpanned.

"You're not making any sense right now so let me take care of things that actually matter now. Like finding her." He looked extremely uncomfortable as I started to leave with my hands curled into a fist.

"Wait! You can't tell me Mandy didn't sit you down and tell you about the family histories then? Seekers are hard to find. You had to have known what a Seeker would do to a Reaper."

"What? Like I can kill her if not careful?" I scoffed, remembering the lectures I got from mom. "Or that a book is needed for the ritual to go through? I already took care of it, Zedkiel. That book is with her, with the Volkios so no one would dare to take it ever again. Now let me go if you're not going to be helpful."

"You little-fuck! I want you to trust me but there's more. When I told you that my clan was going to help Aaron, I kind of lied. I was using him as a spy to know more about the hellhounds." He did what!? I gaped at that but he didn't finish. "When Aaron was possessed, I caught some of the words like someone was going to use you to open the gate of hell. They said you felt a presence the last time you opened it. Pushing against you to come back-"

"Sage. I know. So, let me get this straight, you used my friend to know the secrets of the pit of hell. Then you ruined my love life...which was left of it anyway and now you want me to trust you, is that it?" No words could possibly describe how freaking angry I was right now.