42: the finals (2)

wednesday, the twenty-sixth of march,
2013
sendai city gymnasium
     thank you for 38k oh my

     Megumi quickly dove to get the ball, wincing as her thighs made a squeaky sound on the shiny floorboards of the gymnasium. When she got up, her thighs were bright red and looked as though they were burning up. Her face was scrunched up as though she'd just eaten a lemon, and her hands desperately rubbed her thighs as if that would make a difference.

Coach Washijo, who was watching, called for Megumi to go off and called another girl on to substitute. Shiratorizawa was suffering; the competition proved to be difficult.

It was the third set. You'd won the first, only to be pushed back down by Aoba Johsai in the second. And although you were in the lead by five points now, you'd just lost your best libero, and things could only go downhill from here.

Well, not if you could help it.

     Despite the fact that Megumi was now on the bench for what could be the rest of this set, you still had Alisa setting to you and Matsuda on the defence. Matsuda was no libero, nor was she as agile as Megumi, but her arms and legs could take a beating. She'd come to practice with her legs littered with bruises and she'd walk completely normally. Sure, she might be in great pain, but she can tolerate it.

     As the girl from the bench walked onto the court, you felt Aoi's eyes on you. Turning around, you made eye contact with her again. She was smirking somewhat evilly, and her eyebrows were furrowed to make her look determined. Quickly, as to not let anyone else see, she mouthed, 'rats'.

     'Rats' made you think back to when you'd walked into school only to find your desk littered with mean comments about you, one of which being the school's name, Shiratorizawa, but with the 'rat' in bold. Although that comment didn't faze you in the slightest, you still wondered who on earth would write such a thing.

     You supposed that now you had your answers.

     You frowned back, equally as determined as Aoi. And then, just as she had, you mouthed, 'fools'. Aoi's smirk vanished as she wasn't expecting you to retort back. She was used to you being the gentle girl back in middle school, but Shiratorizawa had changed you for the good.

The referee blew the whistle, the girl suddenly on the court and ready to go. Looking back to the benches for a millisecond, you saw Megumi looking intensely at the other side of the court. You knew this face - she was analysing the other team. Your bespectacled friend was always very analytical, especially when she was on the back lines. When she finally came on, she'd tell you everything she'd learned and you'd have the upper hand.

     Also, Ushijima was staring at you. Weirdo.

     The whistle blew again, and the match started. Aoi was serving. Her eyebrows were furrowed, and her face was contorted into a a frown. What you'd said before had quite possibly aggravated her, and she seemed more aggressive than ever.

     With great force, the silver-haired girl jumped up and slammed the ball down, watching in surprise as you darted down to receive it. Successfully, the ball flung right back up into the air, and right into Alisa's range. Alisa raised her arms and tossed the ball towards Reina, who spiked the ball down onto the other side of the net. Aoi, who was too busy sulking, didn't react in time to the ball hitting the floor, thus scoring Shiratorizawa another point.

     The crowd went wild. You were leading by six points, and the next point would mean match point for you. Only one more set to go after that, though...

But still, you had to be resilient. You wouldn't get to nationals just by being lazy.

Alisa was serving (looks, like damn, did you see the season four trailer??) the ball. She took two big steps back to the serving line and leapt up into the air, swinging her arms as she did so. The ball fell gracefully into her range and she swung with all the power she had, sending the ball hurtling towards Aoi. Aoi, now out of her little 'sulk mode', received the ball, only to have her arms tained a bright red which looked like it hurt.