35: best friend

wednesday, the twelfth of march, 2013
     aoba johsai

     Oikawa Tooru was sitting in a bathroom stall by himself for numerous reasons. One, to get away from his fangirls for a minute, and two, to think. Oikawa liked to think. He enjoyed having time to himself, and he enjoyed being completely lost within his own thoughts. He'd sit in his room for hours just thinking until his mother or father came home. Of course, they'd think he was a complete weirdo, but he knew they didn't really mean it.

The pretty setter leaned on the stall's door as he thought about everything. He checked his phone, admiring the lock screen wallpaper as he did so. The wall paper was of a photo of you, him and Iwaizumi, two of his most favourite people. You were wearing one of his jackets and Iwaizumi was wearing the most casual outfits he'd ever worn. It was taken on Oikawa's birthday, the 20th of July, at the summer fair behind where his house was. Oikawa had only chosen that photo because he liked looking at how widely you were beaming (and also because of how cute you looked in his jacket) and how happy Iwaizumi looked for once.

He missed Kitagawa Daiichi.

He missed being ranked as the best setter. He missed having a Kageyama to yell at and hit. He missed having a coach that knew what he was doing. He missed Iwaizumi dragging him to class. He missed you, walking to and from school with him.

Aoba Johsai was quite different. Sure, Iwaizumi was still there and dragged him to class, but he wasn't in the same class, so Oikawa didn't have anyone to slip notes to. And, of course, Oikawa had his eternal fangroup, which followed him around everywhere (and one good thing was that their voices weren't as squeaky). Oikawa also had to wait two years before having Kageyama to hit. That is, if Kageyama went to Aoba Johsai, and in that case, he would never hit Kageyama again.

...When Oikawa worded it like that, it didn't quite sound right. Almost like abuse. But it obviously wasn't abuse.

"Well damn," Oikawa whispered to himself, running a hand through his perfectly in place hair, "sad boy moments."

Just as he said that, the door to the bathroom opened. Obviously, Oikawa had no idea of who it was, until this mysterious person was banging on his door.

Only one person would bang on his door so relentlessly.

"Oi, Shittykawa," grumbled Iwaizumi, "there's five minutes of lunch left."

Oikawa sighed. He'd have to go back out to them again.

Iwaizumi continued, "stop being so depressed and get out here. The ladies are waiting."

Slowly, Oikawa opened the door, revealing the tanned face and permanent scowl of his best friend. He must've been staring for a tad too long as Iwaizumi suddenly huffed and turned to the sinks on the opposite wall, looking at his face in one of the mirrors.

He traced a scar on the side of his cheek. Sighing, he turned back to Oikawa and gestured to the door. "Are we leaving then?"

Oikawa took his mind away from answering him and thought back to when Iwaizumi got that scar. Despite it only being small, the school's pretty boy still felt quite bad. He couldn't helped a bit.

Long story short, Iwaizumi broke up with Masako Aikawa (who, if you remember, threatened to tarnish his reputation as a gentleman if he ever did so). He broke the news to her in front of all of her friends, who, in sync, gasped and threw their hands over their mouths. Masako looked mortified, and slapped him across the face. Her fake acrylic nail caught his left cheek, leaving a little pink line.