49: ushijima's ending

@ I ACCIDENTALLY BOUGHT A SUBSCRIPTION TO CRUNCHYROLL BUT I DONT CARE I GOT TO SEE THE FIRST EPISODE TWENTY MINUTES AFTER IT CAME OUT DID YOU SEE MY MANS BUT DID YOU ALSO SEE ALISA IN THE OVA OHMYNTJT IM GONNA CRY
also, 69k... ha... nice.

     'Killer Queen...'

     Ushijima stood like that one picture of Mike Wazowski with Sully's face, only he seemed to be a bit more relaxed. You had the feeling that he'd look exactly like the picture if he stood like he normally did.

     Although, he wasn't standing like he normally was. In fact, he looked incredibly relaxed and calm, as if maybe he was constantly worried about something before hand.

     "I'm glad I could get to you first," he admitted, "Alisa told me that you had a few other people vying for your attention."

     So that's what he wanted. "Er, yes, she did mention that."

Ushijima hummed. "I am lucky to be first."

"...is what you've just said."

There was an awkward silence for a while. Ushijima did nothing but stand wordlessly in front of you, staring into your soul intently. The way he stood really was like that one picture of Mike Wazowski. He looked weird, but at the same time, you could see why you were attracted to him in the first place - his eyes were the most beautiful shade of green in what light there was in the gymnasium, and his sweaty hair was thrown about in every direction... but in a hot way. You know all those fanart things of those haikyuu boys (whoever they are)? Yeah. Like one of those.

"I will state why I'm here," he began, taking a step forward. His height made it seem like he was towering over you, and the angle that his face was at made him seem ten times more scarier than when you could see his whole face. "I wanted to talk to you about something important to me."

Ushijima turned around and gestured with his hand for you to follow him. He began walking out of one of the exits, ignoring the calls of your teammates, and made his way to one of the desolate hallways in the gymnasium. Calmly, he stood still, and waited for you to stand in front of him. Once you had, he sighed, which was extremely out of character.

Looking up and making eye contact with him, you could see in his eyes that he looked troubled, as though there was something bothering him. But you knew exactly what was bothering him, due to the fact that he almost confessed to you over text messages when it was just you and Alisa in the hotel room, but epically failed because he ended up sending the message to Alisa instead. Ushijima, upon realising that you'd been staring at him for a while, stared right back at you. You jumped, but you knew that his intense glare wasn't intense in his mind.

     Ushijima was not an angry person. He was never angry. He was just cursed with an angry-looking face.

     "(Name)," he whispered, his voice holding more emotion than usual, "I don't know what to do anymore."

     That question caught you off guard. "What do you mean?" You replied, raising an eyebrow in question.

     His eyes dropped to the floor and his eyebrows furrowed in thought. "I have given the impression to everyone that I am emotionless, and I am a machine built only for volleyball. However, they are wrong. I do experience some emotions, like happiness, or frustration."

     You were quiet, and Ushijima took this as an opportunity to keep going. "But recently, I have been experiencing another emotion. Reon has been helping me understand it but I don't think he understands it himself."

     "Your point is...?"

     "I was hoping that maybe you would understand this complex emotion." He clenched his fists, and turned his head up to look you in the eye. The look in his eyes was sincere, and the tone in his voice made him sound so vulnerable. "I am truly in love with you, (name)."

     As if on cue, your entire face burned red with embarrassment. It wasn't as though you didn't return the feelings - oh, yes, you certainly returned the feelings - it was just the way that he worded it. Ushijima never failed to sound incredibly passionate yet so incredibly emotionless at the same time.

     With that, you began to giggle. Ushijima, of course, took this as a rejection, and he took a step back in defeat. You realised this and immediately took a step forward to match with him, the grin still present on your face. Your hand found his, but he didn't have much experience in the hand-holding department, so he awkwardly kept his fist closed while your smaller hands wrapped around his. "Oh, Ushiwaka, you're so cute sometimes."

     "Cute?" He muttered curiously.

     You nodded. "The way that you told me that was really cute and it made me very happy to hear you say that."

     Hints of a smile appeared on Ushijima's face and the worried look disappeared. "I'm glad."

     He eventually realised how awkward your hand was around his fist, so he opened his hand to return your gesture. Your hands fit like puzzle pieces, but, to be specific, new puzzle pieces that had just come out of the box that were a bit too stiff to fit perfectly... if you get what I'm trying to say.

     Grinning, you took another step forward. "Ushiwaka, did you really mean what you said?"

     "Of course. I really do lo-"

     You shook your head. "No, not that. I don't doubt that. What you'd said before, outside of school when we'd just beaten Dateko. You said, 'I care for one lady'. Did you mean that?"

"Do you suspect that I don't?"

"No, no! It's not that, it's just..." nervously, you laughed, "I just wanted to hear you say it, that's all..."

Ushijima's mouth contorted into a small smile. His hand squeezed yours, and with his eyes shut contently, he whispered, "I care for one lady, and that lady is you."

     You took more steps towards him until you were literally almost stood on his feet. Tenderly, Ushijima looked down at you, and then stiffly moved his arm to wrap around your waist in an effort to hug you. Stifling a laugh, you wrapped your arms around his waist and buried your head into his chest to make things a little less awkward. Ushijima's breath hitched, and then he relaxed around you, his arms snaking all the way around your waist and his head burrowed into the crook of your neck.

     "Thank you," he whispered, "it's been a long time."

     Feeling more tears pricking at the corners of your eyes upon realising that he was talking about the lack of love he'd received as a child, you buried your face into his chest further. "I'll be here for you to have hugs whenever you want, Ushiwaka."

     He nodded. "You can say Wakatoshi if you want."

     "Oh, er, right... Wakatoshi."