10: shiratorizawa vs. kidaiichi

in the year 2010
     the finals of the middle school prelims

     It was the second set. Oikawa could feel the beads of sweat dripping down his forehead as he glared icily towards the team on the other side of the net. He'd never met them before, but they were powerful. Nobody in this whole competition was any match for first-year Oikawa and his team, so they were slightly underprepared for the difficulty of the final match.

     Their name was Shiratorizawa Academy. Somehow, they were the same age. But Shiratorizawa were just more powerful, and they were more powerful by far.

     One guy on that team who went by the name of Ushijima was left handed, and boy did he already look like he came straight out of JoJo. This Ushijima was almost six foot tall and he was only twelve going on thirteen - a monster, if anything. The strength of his left hand alone overpowered any of the blockers and left the unlucky soul who received it half dead. He played ace and knew exactly what he was doing.

     Ushijima never smiled. He only played.

     He was a beast. Or emotionally traumatised. Either one, or he was just a robot whose purpose in life was just volleyball.

     The score was 16-23 to Shiratorizawa. Ushijima was serving, and you could feel the whole gym go silent in slight fear and anticipation as Ushijima raised the ball with his more dominant hand. Oikawa didn't mind them at first - but now he despised them with his whole being. How dare they come in and swoop Kitagawa Daiichi away from the throne they had worked so hard for?

     The ball was up in the air. Iwaizumi had told Oikawa to stay his positive self and doing so would bring hope to the team, but he couldn't help but feel as though Shiratorizawa had already won as soon as the ball was up. As Ushijima jumped, Oikawa felt himself sweat more. He was scared. And just as Ushijima raised his hands to set the ball, he caught his eye. They made eye contact for a solid three seconds before the ball was launched in Iwaizumi's direction. It seemed as though Iwaizumi was distracted by the movement of their team's ace and Shiratorizawa had won the second set. Kitagawa Daiichi had placed second in the middle school preliminaries. Shiratorizawa was going to nationals.

     It wasn't fair, Oikawa told himself, that such stuck up people always got more.

     After the match, Oikawa sat by himself on a bench, thinking about the previous game. His eyes rested on his half full water bottle. He was only disturbed when he noticed a presence beside him. Looking over, he saw the ace from before. Ushijima held his hand out.

     "You're the setter of that team," he bluntly stated, still waiting for Oikawa to shake his hand, "you were good. But not good enough. We will beat you again next year. And the year after that."

     Oikawa stood up in a fit of fury. "How dare you give me advice on how to play my sport? Since when were you that much better than me? And why are you so determined to defeat us?"

     "Oikawa, that game proved everything to me. You have much to learn. But you would have learned everything you ever needed to know if you had just come to Shiratorizawa. Please know that it isn't too late to change schools."

     "Shut the fronk up!" Oikawa almost screamed, his voice breaking on the 'fronk', "You speak as if Shiratorizawa is the god of all schools! There are people better then you, Ushijima, and you'll see that next year when we beat you!"

     Ushijima thought about Oikawa's words for a minute. "I'll look forward to seeing our defeat. If it ever happens."

     Before Oikawa could continue screeching, Ushijima walked away. He sensed danger, Ushijima did, and he knew when to stop. But that didn't mean that he wouldn't continue being brutally honest and wouldn't stop being so unaware of the effects his words had.