37: outside in the cold

thursday, the twentieth of march, 2013
     outside of sendai city gymnasium
     thank you for 30k!!!

     "I'm cold," whined Alisa, "I'm cold and it hurts."

     "What hurts?" asked Reina, also cold.

     "Everything." Alisa rubbed her arms. "Everything hurts and I'm sad."

     Reina huffed. "Aren't we all?"

     It was March, meaning that spring had just begun but winter hadn't ended all that long ago. It was that time of year when it's absolutely freezing but incredibly sunny at the same time. Or, in other words, the worst time of year to be stuck outside.

     Which is what all of you were doing right now.

     For some reason, the doors hadn't opened for the gymnasium, and all four teams were loitering outside, searching for the sunniest spot to stand in. You and Megumi were huddled together on the steps up to the gymnasium, while Alisa and Reina were standing behind you. Ushijima, Tendou, Semi and Reon were all leaning against the wall, Tendou ranting about something while Semi nodded and Reon completely ignored them. Ushijima was silent as usual.

     "I suppose so." Alisa kicked a pebble from the stairs over to where Matsuda was talking to Chiharu. She grinned evilly as it hit Matsuda on the back of her head.

     Slowly and with a rather intimidating frown on her face, Matsuda turned around. Alisa yelped and hid behind Reina (who was about four or five inches shorter than her) out of fear.

     Matsuda's eyebrows furrowed even more. "Alisa Haiba," she began, her voice almost a growl, "you will regret doing that."

     Alisa's knees began to shake, and her arms quivered. She managed to shake Reina with her. "I'm sorry!" She stammered, "I didn't mean to, I swear-"

"YOU WILL PAY! JUSTICE WILL PREVAIL! THE HUMAN RACE WILL PAY FOR ALL IT HAS DONE TO ME! I REJECT MY HUMANITY!" Matsuda cried, throwing the pebble at terminal velocity towards Alisa. Alisa let out the loudest and most fearful screech she'd ever let out and made a break for the doors.

     However, instead of crashing into the doors, she crashed straight into someone. And that someone was Ushijima.

     Ushijima was not impressed in the slightest. He peeled Alisa away from his chest and held her in front of him. With a cold glare, he told her, "shut up."

     Alisa screamed yet again and ran back down the steps and behind you. You jumped out of your skin when her cold hands landed on your arms, despite the fact that you had your team jacket on. This time, she was shaking like she'd never shook before, and her hands gripped onto your shoulders like vices. It hurt.

     "(Name)-chan," she fake sobbed, "save me from your boyfriend."

     You gasped. Boyfriend...? You'd spent so long thinking about Oikawa that you'd forgotten your feelings towards Ushijima! At that moment, everything came rushing back to you - the common room, the smile, the very close walking, his longer conversations...

     Damn, you thought, there's so many hot boys here.

     "He's not my boyfriend!" You exclaimed, pushing her off of you. "D-Don't assume such things!"

     She laughed, forgetting about her nervousness from thirty seconds before. "Then why are your cheeks so red, hm?"

     "Shut up!"

     Just as you were about to give her the whooping of her life, the doors to the gymnasium opened, and a man came out and apologised profusely for the inconvenience. All of you walked calmly inside, rubbing your arms to rid yourselves of the cold. Ushijima wasn't doing it, though, because he isn't actually human.