18: finals

saturday, the twenty-sixth of june 2012
     sendai city gymnasium

     "Alright everyone, gather around."

     Everyone moved to form a group around Miss Tsutsui. She cleared her throat and began talking again.

     "You all probably know who we're going up against, but I'd like to formally announce it anyway. I know that some of you will be quite disappointed by our opponent - and I promise you, they're tough and they're good competition."

     Everyone seemed to lean in closer. Frankly, you didn't know who you were going up against. The other school hadn't arrived yet, but you heard that they were from Sendai. Perhaps they're just fashionably late.

     "So the team we're going up against is..."

     Queue the drum roll...

     "Shiratorizawa."

     A few mortified gasps were heard around the circle. Shiratorizawa?! We have no chance of winning!

    You looked over to Oikawa, who was noticeably frustrated and angry. His head was tilted downwards and his fists were clenched. Iwaizumi watched him and patted his shoulder in comfort awkwardly.

     "I mean, did you not expect Shiratorizawa to get to the finals?"

     "That's not it, Miss Tsutsui," mumbled Oikawa, "we're just a bit angry."

     "At what?" She replied.

     "Them. They're a horrid school. They don't deserve to win."

     A few others nodded in agreement.

     "I hate Shiratorizawa," Aoi muttered from the other side of the circle, "I hate them with a burning passion. Some people say that there's a special place in their heart for someone. Shiratorizawa belongs in my left kidney."

     "Why your left kidney?" Giggled Rin.

     "Because it's closer to my 🅱️enis."

     Rin and Aoi snorted. Nobody else found Aoi's joke funny. How did she even pronounce the 'B' emoji?!

"But anyway. If you really hate Shiratorizawa, beat them to a pulp now and show them who's boss." Miss Tsutsui looked around at everyone to see who she'd motivated. She was like that.

You could feel the cold, hard glare of Aoi. "Yeah. To a pulp," she mumbled, her icy blue eyes never leaving you. Rin quickly noticed what she was glaring at and joined in, just to seem as though she was included. And now, you had the gaze of two furious, anti-Shiratorizawa students on you at all times, and you'd probably have to deal with them during the match. Hopefully, Aoi would still pass the ball to you - even though she did do that in the last match, doesn't mean she'd do it here. However, she did seem pretty motivated to destroy Shiratorizawa, but for all the horrible reasons.

Number one would be to show you that you're going to a rubbish school next year. Number two would be because she despises Shiratorizawa. And number three? Well, number three would probably be just to show off. Who knows? Maybe she had someone on that team apart from her sisters that she had something against.

     The gym was even noisier than before, and you could tell at this moment that your ears would ring later on. Shiratorizawa took up one half of the gymnasium while Kitagawa Daiichi took up the other end. The boy's team had to watch the girl's team first, and then vice versa. Everyone wanted to view the finals as whoever won would be going to the nationals. It was exciting, really, but also quite nerve-racking because you only had a 50% chance of winning.