Chapter 10 - I'm an Intern

“The Emergency Department seems pretty empty today, huh, Nurse Wang?” The young resident doctor went to the young nurse and offered her a bottle of iced black tea.

“I don’t drink sweet things.” Wang Jia did not take the drink.

The resident doctor slapped his head and said with a smile, “Oh gosh, my memory is bad. It’s already so late, everyone is probably exhausted. We should take over.”

Resident doctors and nurses were colleagues, and unlike medical interns, they at least show each other some form of care. It was not very respectful for her to have him wait for half a day without giving him any opportunities to hone his skills.

Wang Jia’s tone softened a little. “There’s no work to do right now, though.”

“The Emergency Department actually gets to stay idle?” The resident doctor laughed.

The Emergency Department was practically a hospital’s screening department. Emergency Departments of bigger hospitals transferred a large number of patients to other departments every single day, especially when they were in critical condition. More often than not, the Emergency Department would be stabilizing vitals and giving the patients basic treatment before they were hastily sent off to the operating theater.

If there was one thing the Emergency Department lacked, it was free time. This was why the resident doctors came to the Emergency Department for a chance to perform surgery.

Wang Jia hesitated for a moment, but she did not tell him of the situation in the treatment room. She only said, “The condition of the patients today are a bit more special…”

Another resident doctor came over. He spoke while putting his arm on the resident doctor’s shoulder, “We’re not afraid of special ones. We can do anything. Right, Old Wu?”

Old Wu nodded earnestly.

“I’ve seen a ping pong ball stuck up there; I’ve seen a ping pong ball stuck down there; and I’ve seen balls in the front and back. Whatever it is, we’ve taken them all out.”

Wang Jia had been a nurse for a few years and would not be defeated by the dirty jokes of two resident doctors. She kept a straight face. “The benchmark of the Emergency Department here is to take out a golf ball.”

“How can a golf ball be…” The two new young men who had just entered the trade were immediately rendered speechless.

“Alright, Doctor Wu and Doctor Li, come with me.”

Nurses always meant well, even if their words were sometimes harsh. Although Wang Jia had a rather cynical nature, she still gave the resident doctors an opportunity. However, the final say would be up to the attending physicians of the department and the directors.

In the office a few meters away, the medical interns looked outside with eager eyes. They could not even find the chance to get insulted for their work.

Doctor Wu and Doctor Li followed Wang Jia excitedly and walked into the treatment room with quick steps. When they strode past the doorsill, they felt a familiar heat.

Doctors, nurses, patients, and family members of patients walked to and fro in the tiny treatment room. One only had to take a deep breath and the irritation would set in.

However, Doctor Wu and Doctor Li remained unperturbed. Their enthusiasm forced all the negative current away. They treasured every single opportunity to perform treatment, be it to remove ping pong balls, golf balls, or volleyballs. They were duty-bound to treat all of them.

“Doctor Zhou, these patients are waiting to be sutured, right? Do you need our help?”

Doctor Wu first looked for a familiar face before he turned to a few men with full-sleeve tattoos and were sitting on the isolation beds. His eyes sparkled with eagerness. He was a puppy, and these men were crunchy, juicy bones.