Chapter 4 - Tail Replantation

Lei Beisha was executing the carrot and stick approach in the large room. Once he said those scathing words, he worked on comforting the interns. “In the beginning stage of your internship, all of you should mostly make observation as your priority and pay attention to the methods of learning. Study diligently and train hard. At the same time, you must strive to balance hard work and rest.

“Today, the most important thing we will be doing today is to show all of you a demonstration. After this, you will have plenty of time to shut yourself in the simulation training space. By then, even if you don’t want to be here, you will still find yourselves in this place.”

After seeing that Lei Beisha’s attitude had taken a turn for the better, Wang Zhuangyong quickly raised his white-gloved hand and asked, “Department Director Lei, how difficult is the tail replantation for a white rat and what is the hardest part of it?”

“How difficult is it, you ask…? How do I put this into words…?” Lei Beisha pondered on that thought for a moment and said, “Let me describe it a little to you. Other than you students from the medical academy coming over to do your internships here in Yun Hua Hospital’s Hand Surgery Department, we also accept almost a hundred doctors from other hospitals within the province to come in and do practical learning with us every year. Even when these doctors arrive, the number of those who are capable of completing the tail replantation and meet the requirement of 95% blood flow rate will only be in the single-digits.”

The students simultaneously gasped in shock.

Even if the doctors who were able to come back to work in Yun Hua Hospital lacked skill, they would still be better than the medical students who had never been at the operating table. With this impression in them, the respect that students had in their hearts grew even more towards those who could perform tail replantation for white rats.

A few minutes later, Kang Jiuliang and Ling Ran sat on two sides of the table respectively. The objective lens for both of their double binocular head compound microscope were aimed on the tail of the white rat. At the top side of the machine, Kang Jiuliang and Ling Ran were both provided with a pair of eyepiece lenses.

“Normally, when we are training, we will cut the rat’s tail into approximately sixty to eighty segments. Today is a special case for us; we shall cut it into fewer segments.” At the same moment Kang Jiuliang switched on the microphone on one side of the table, he picked up a scalpel.

“The white mouse is so cute, please don’t cut its tail.” A girl cried out while she hid among the crowd.

Although he supposed that she was just pulling a joke, Kang Jiuliang remained serious as he explained, “Experimental animals are the unsung heroes of our hospitals. Everyone would use them for practice in order to improve their skills and further improve the welfare of humans. In the meantime, everyone should also try their best to utilize every chance for experimentation, but perform your experiments within the limits of your abilities. That way, you can try to minimize the suffering of the animals. So, when you’re practicing, you must remain serious… Student, what are you doing?”

While Kang Jiuliang was talking, he saw that Ling Ran had already cut the tail of the anaesthetized white rat into tens of segments.

“You said that we would cut fewer today, so I’ve cut it into 42 segments. Is that too few?” The scalpel that Ling Ran held in his hand glinted with a silver light across the blade.

The students below watched with both eyes gleaming, that included the girl who just mentioned that the “white mouse is so cute”. She was also extremely excited, to the point that she wished she was the one holding the scalpel.