Chapter 63 - Signature Smile

In the Hand Surgery Department or the Orthopaedics Department, being able to furl a fist slightly was an indicator as a hand's recovery.

A slight furl was not exactly equivalent to a normal person forming a fist. The fingers were only required to touch the palm. The fingers should be slightly bent but not completely bent. Depending on the severity of tendon injuries, being able to gently furl a fist within twenty-four hours to three weeks post-surgery was regarded as an ideal result.

Most importantly, it indicated that the patient's tendon was basically healed, and the risk of the tendon splitting was favorably low.

With this, all sorts of active rehabilitation practices could commence, and the scope of physiotherapy activities available were wider.

Be it from a medical point of view, the patient's perspective towards his or her own recovery, or economic considerations, the sooner the patient was able to execute a light grip, the better.

When Ling Ran came into the ward, Huo Congjun was already accompanied by Wang Haiyang, a chief physician of the Hand Surgery Department. They were having a pleasant talk together as they performed the check-up.

The patient and his family were also in similarly high spirits.

The negative emotions brought about by the car accident had faded away. The recovery of his body had turned into something worthy of happiness.

Ma Wenhua was more than forty years old. His body was still in a rather good shape. He had also received Yun Hua Hospital's emergency treatment, which was of high standards. There was basically no serious sequelae left from his injury. The helicopter's prompt arrival had played a significant role. The sooner the treatment for the patient, the easier it was for the patient to recover, especially with regards to their hand function.

One hundred thousand people died each year in China due to traffic accidents, and five hundred thousand people would be wounded. But if helicopter rescues were made free or cheaper... The funds required to make this happen would probably send the Ministry of Finance into a mental breakdown.

Huo Congjun and others were more concerned about the patient's hand recovery. Yun Hospital's Emergency Department saved far too many people. Almost every day, someone was pulled back from death, but Ma Wenhua was the first patient they had ever treated using the M-Tang technique.

For any department in any hospital, the first instance of a new procedure mattered the most.

The first case of success proved that the doctors and the hospital could treat a particular type of injury using a particular method.

In terms of surgery, if a doctor could be the first in the country or be the first in the province to perform such a surgery successfully, their success would bring forth great value to themselves and the hospital.

Wang Haiyang gave the patient a Functional Performance Test and nodded at Department Director Huo, "The edema has basically subsided, and the hand is recovering very well."

The two people have always shared a healthy working relationship. When Wang Haiyang said that, it meant that the patient was genuinely recovering well.

Huo Congjun's spirits were instantly lifted, "Can he make it in time?"

What he meant was whether the patient's hand would also recover as quickly as the patient's other injuries, and that when the patient's other injuries had recovered well enough for the patient to be discharged, his hand injury would also have recovered to the point where he could be discharged.

Wang Haiyang said, "According to our Hand Surgery Department's standards, the patient can only be discharged when his or her flexion limit is less than five degrees of motion, when his or her hand strength returns to 75% of a normal person's hand strength, and if his or her ADL passes. ADL can be understood as the ability to perform daily tasks. As for this one, due to Mr. Ma not only suffering from a hand injury, the recovery of the other parts of his body also need to be considered. There may be a slight delay, but in general, it is still ideal."