Chapter 22

My eyes flutter open, as a bright light shines down on me. Squinting my eyes, I try to adjust them to the harsh light as a groan soon follows. Thankfully, shade is provided n I'm able to blink a couple of times before realizing that Vince, Francesco and Massimo are standing around me. That only causes me too groan again.

     The three of them chuckle. "Wakey wakey sleepy head." Vince coos.

    "Where am I?"  I ask in a groggy voice.

    "You're still in the hallway." He sighs. I nod my head while sitting up. Vince is quick to my side to help and the cool feeling of the wall against my back causes me to sigh in delight. Vince stays by my side as France gets my bag. He shoves all the weapons that fell out of my bag back into it. I spot Mass and another guy huddling around a man who's resting on a wooden table—the same table I flipped over to take cover from Keith and Ricky. It's probably Angelo.

    "Is that Angelo?" Vince nods his head while checking my pulse to make sure its steady. "How long has he been out?"

     He smiles. "About thirty minutes. Mass said he should be awake in an hour or so; since there wasn't much damage done."

     Raising an eyebrow, I form a tight lip smile. "Much damage?" Vince chuckles as he pulls away. Opening his mouth to say something, Francesco cuts him off.

     "Here's your bag and bat Nia. Everything is in there." Francesco says handing me my bag. Reaching up with my right arm to grab my bag, the sudden pain shoots up my arm as I feel blood oozing out. A terrifying scream leaves my lips as I drop my bag and pull back my arm. Tears roll down my cheeks as I squeeze my arm tighter towards my body. The realization that my right shoulder is still injured slipped my mind. Everything begins to blur and the sight of dots are everywhere.

     "Shit." Vince hisses as he picks me up bridle style.

      "You didn't tell her?!" Francesco screams.

      "I was about to tell her but you cut me off!" Vince runs towards the table. "Guys move! Make room for Nia! Her stitches opened again." Vince barks.

     "Shit. She's losing a lot of blood..." Francesco trails off as he looks over my wound.

     "Jeez. Thanks." I say breathlessly as my eyes drop.

     "Shut up. Would you?" Vince snaps at Francesco who rolls his eyes.  "You're not making the situation any better!" He quickly scrams around the room grabbing everything he needs. My attention fades away as I slowly close my eyes.

     "No, Nia! Keep your eyes opened!" He shouts, fiddling with the equipment.

     My eyes fully shut as I groan in annoyance. "I'm really tired. I'm going to close my eyes for a bit."

     "Hey! Come on Nia, listen to the sound of my voice." Vince says, but my eyes stay closed as I slowly allow the darkness in.

     "Let me try, just keep fixing her." A voice says. That same voice that I never want to hear again. The voice that makes my heart crumble to a thousand pieces as I think of all the things he's done to me. Feeling his big hand cup my right cheek, he turns my head to the left to face him. "Come on beautiful. Listen to my voice." The feelings of my eyes watering up makes me squeeze my eyes tighter.

     I can't open them. Not now. He'll see me cry and that's the last thing I need right now. Everything goes quiet as the sudden feelings of his gentle lips on mine makes me open my eyes. I had to make sure this wasn't a dream. It couldn't be and it isn't as Gianluca is truly standing there with his hand on my cheek and his lips pressed against mine.

     Tears cloud my vision as I shut my eyes tight making a few tears slip out. Kissing him back hard, I try to ignore the hole in my chest as his lips burn against mine.

     Pulling away slightly, my voice cracks as tears continue to roll down my cheeks. "No." Is all I say as Luca opens his beautiful chocolate brown eyes. Shutting my eyes, I try to control my breathing as the pain from before drifts away. He seems to always make things better.

     "Look at me beautiful." Gianluca says. I shake my head but he cups my face in his hands. "Please." He pleads. Taking in a sharp breath, my eyes open to see his brown eyes. "Hey," He says, wiping away the tears. "It's okay. I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere." That only made me cry harder.

     "But you did!" I sob, as I think back to all those terrible times he left me in the dust. "You left me." My voice is small as I control my breathing. The sudden pain returns. It fires up my body and squeezes my chest. "You left me in that room and never came to visit me!" My eyes burn with tears as I suddenly feel light headed.

      Squeezing my eyes shut, I steady my breathing once more and try to allow the darkness in. I do not want to deal with Luca right now and sleep seems like the better option. "You left me after high school. You never cared—you still don't. You're only here because of your father. You don't want me to be awake, so let me sleep." My voice is dangerously low.

     Gianluca lifts my face. "No, open your damn eyes Fionia." His voice booms down the empty hallway. "Please, I'm sorry. I was wrong. I'm sorry. It was all a mistake. I just got you back, please don't let me lose you again." He begs but I don't hear the meaning behind it. He didn't mean a word of it.

     "Then why did you leave?" My eyes remain closed as the darkness over comes me. "Why didn't you stop yourself from losing me again?"