Fire

The Creator

I lean forward a little, trying to increase my non-existent confidence. But it seems to do little effect on anything. She still wants an answer, and I still need to get in. I clench my hands into fists, hidden in my pockets. I try to cover up my frustration, but it seems that it had leaked through my fake cool composure.

More energy ebbs away every moment that I stand there, her bleach-white smile seems more like a picket fence. And apparently the desperation in my eyes aren't a strong enough signal to get me entry. "I'm not necessarily here for an appointment," I draw up, letting my words get ahead of me, "I am here to pick up something from her."

I hope that the little amendment to the real reason why I am here, lets this 'bill' pass. But with her skepticism at an all-time high, I doubt that it did. But just like most things that happen in my life, what comes next is a surprise.

"Hello Ink." A greeting is sounded behind me, but instead of feeling welcome, it is as if I am being ordered to turn around. Once I do, the colder demeanor of the greeting doesn't faze me as much as to who said it.

"I have been expecting your visit." She continues, not even waiting for me to respond. Meeting her eyes for the second time in my life as a Creator, I can see approval behind the thick lenses. Pushing up the square frames with a glossy red nail, she continues onward with her walk through the foyer.

Not really positive on what I should be doing, I follow behind her. But before exiting the premise, I turn around and send the secretary a quick smile. I did say I needed to see her, it's not my fault that I wasn't on a list. Her cold stare sends me quickly turning back around.

I stiffen hoping that the whole ordeal was unnoticed by Fate. And it was apparently so, because as soon as I walk in, a package was quickly pushed into my hands. A little startled I almost drop it. "There are your vials, I have to apologize for the late delivery," She starts, taking a seat behind her large desk, "There were some...complications that had to be handled."

I stand unsure of what to do with myself. She folds her hands on top of the desk, but after noticing my uncertainty in this situation, she gestures for me to take a seat. I quickly do, setting the box on my lap. "Is there anything else you need to talk to me about?" I bring up, trying to participate in the one-sided conversation.

She takes a deep breathe, almost appearing pestered by me. I can't help but let worry make creases into my expression. Even though it may have only taken a moment, it feels like hours before she answers. And when she does, I can't help but feel a little...panicked.

"I know about the fire."