First Step Forward

The Creator

My shoulders are a little achey from scrubbing the floor clean. I stretch out a little and then get ready to leave. The mop is caked with black goo. Along with the bucket I used to hold the water. I drag the bucket across the floor and still weakened with fatigue, I jerk the bucket up to the sink. From there I see the black contents tumble and spin down the drain.

Watching the substance disappear out of my sight helps strengthen my mental barrier from the memory of what happened. I push out the visions of seeing black gunk being forced out of me. Proof that something isn't right.

But I'm fine now.

I rinse out the bucket and the mop head. In only a few short minutes all evidence of the episode is gone. I lean my back against the sink and take in a deep breath. I'm fine. I close my eyes and lower my head a bit. I try to relax but the anxiety of being responsible for my health and the safety of multiple AU's is quite overwhelming. But once I am able to secure the safety of all those universes I should have time to figure out this whole...situation.

I close my eyes and recollect myself, it's almost time for me to go check on that AU. I put the damp mop in the clean bucket and shove them both in the storage closet. I slam the door shut, rendering the past events non existent to the average viewer.

I stand in the middle of the room, ready to check on the new AU. I ready my paint brush, prepared to open the portal. Excitement seeing my new universe for the first time is exhilarating. My hands start to shake. But this isn't from the excitement, instead it's from fear.

Silence confirms my thoughts. The reluctance towards moving creates evidence of what's going on. I'm...never mind. I'll be able to go in and get out. No problems, no complications. I lean against my paint brush, the gravity of my thoughts pulling me down.

I pull up enough of my magic and open a portal. The new world ahead of me and my old problems behind. I will come back later and sort this whole thing out. I feel a little lighter with less energy in me. I take a few steps forward on the wooden floorboards. Colorful paint splatters darkened with the substance. I roll my shoulders back, no time for this kind of thinking.

After a moment I have one foot in my room and another in the snow dimension of Undertale. A new creation, a new place. A new opportunity to let new people live their lives. Be with their families, their friends, and make memories. It is the best feeling to give life to a new Universe.

A feeling to challenge the sense of accomplishment of winning an award. Nothing can take this happiness away from me in this moment. There is nothing for me to worry about right now. I plaster a smile on my face, ready to meet these new people. The problem can wait until I get back. An hour of meeting people won't hurt me...right?

I push myself through the portal. I hear it close behind me. I take a breath of fresh air in, and close my eyes. My worries taking a lunch break. Everything will be fine.

Maybe everything would have been fine if...

...

...if I hadn't lied to myself.