36

Leila

"LEILA HASSIM!!!"

"I'm up, I'm up!"

Sighing as I laid staring at the ceiling, I couldn't believe it was back to school already. Saying my usual morning pray and chatting with my grandmother, I got up and got ready for the day ahead of me.

Hearing my phone vibrate, thinking it was Josh, it was actually Anna checking to see if I needed a ride. Confirming, I went back to what I was doing. Over the course of the weekend, though Josh and I spoke often, I sensed a kind of distance coming from him. Though he had reassured me that he was fine, I still couldn't shake the feeling.

"Morning mommy." I kissed her on her cheek.

"Morning love." She answered as I greeted my brother.

"Where's dad?"

"Why you clocking my movements little girl?" He smirked.

"Well okay then." I laughed.

Placing everything on the table, we blessed the food and began to converse. I had decided that I would bring up the topic of the trip at that moment, just to get it out there.

"Mom, dad?"

Giving me their attention, I mentally cursed myself.

"Is everything okay?" My mother asked with concern.

"Yeah, everything is fine."

"Leila?" My dad spoke up.

"I'm serious dad. I just wanted to get y'all opinion on something."

"Oh okay." My mother said as my dad nodded.

"How would y'all feel about me going on a trip, without yall?"

"A school trip?"

"No. After graduation."

Though I know Josh had spoke about spring break, I didn't want it to seem so soon.

"Oh." My mother said. "Umm. Babe?" She turned to my dad.

"You and who?" He asked.

"Well Josh, Anna, Elijah, Kareem and three of Josh's friends from Virginia."

"Where?" He then asked.

"Nowhere has been decided that's why I'm asking but it will be out of state."

"I don't know Lei."

Hearing his tone, I sighed. I knew where he was going with it and this was one of those things I knew my mother would simply go along with what he says.

"Never mind. Forget I even brought it up." I said instantly and went back to eating.

"Now wait a minute. Before you shut down, keep in mind you didn't give us any solid information to go on. Either way, this is something your mother and I would have to thoroughly discuss."

"Okay." I simply said.

"Good."

Ending the conversation there, I finished eating and cleaned up. Time I came back down with my bag, Anna had arrived. Telling my parents bye, I didn't linger around to hear them say anything.

"You good Lei?"

Staring out the window, I was in my thoughts. Just as I was about to answer her, my phone went off in my hand.

"Yes I'm fine." I said as I read the good morning message from Josh.

Replying, I then locked my screen and went back into my thoughts.