51

Josh

"You spoke to Leila today man?"

"Not yet. Why?"

"Been trying to call Anna but she ain't answering."

"If they aren't together, I'm sure she's just away from her phone."

"True. Ion know how you and Leila do it though."

"We're different from y'all. We naturally keep to ourselves so even though we're deep into each other, we know how to be okay when we're apart from each other."

"Me and Anna are definitely the opposite." He laughed.

"And ain't shit wrong with that." I shrugged. "I mean, I got my moments where I want my girl around me all the time too."

"I don't know what it is about Anna man. She just does it for me."

"Y'all spoke about college? With you trying be at MIT, how's that going to work out?"

"We ain't talk about that yet." He sighed. "But I know it's about to happen. You and Leila had that talk?"

"Yeah. Last November."

"Well damn."

"It needed to be had." I shrugged. "She's going to be in Cali and I'm going back to Virginia, we had to figure it out."

"Is that why you gave her that ring?" He smirked.

"Amongst other reasons." I laughed.

As we sat on the bus heading to where we had our game, I was ready to go home. This was our second game and had to win this one to be in the finals. Hearing Elijah say finally, I glanced at him, only to see his girl calling him.

"Do you playboy." I laughed as I went back to looking out the window.

As my mind wondered, I decided to do some drawing. Getting out the travel size sketch pad Leila had gifted me for Christmas, I put in my AirPods, pulled out my pencil and just did a free hand design.

Since Winter break, I've been designing more structures, creating a portfolio per say, in this specific sketch pad. Leila really was my muse when it came to drawing. Aside from having the strong urge to sketch her, she opened me up other ideas and executing them with perfect ease.

"Gotta love this girl." I shook my head and smiled.

After another thirty minutes of driving, we had arrived to the school. Seeing all the cars, though we had our supporters, along with the cheerleaders, it was a lot of people here. As we got off the bus, my phone rang. Seeing Leila's name, this was our pregame ritual.

"My love."

"Hey babe, you ready for this?"

"I am now."

"You know I wasn't going to not call. This is our thing."

"Damn right." I smiled.

"Now remember, be alert, be focus, be grounded. Y'all are a team so you work as a team. Anyone comes at you, try not to get to angered and win!"

"Gotcha babe. I love you."

"I love you too. Have fun. Bring home this win."

"We got this!"

Ending the call on a high note, we walked into the locker room that was designated for us. Securing our belongings, we all then gathered around coach.

"Alright boys, now this is it. Win this and we're in the finals for the first time in a long time. Y'all have done outstanding thus far. We're going out as a team, playing as a team and winning as a team. Who got this?"