20

Leila

"Mom!"

"Yes Leila? What is it?"

"Can you come for a minute please?!"

Standing in my bedroom door way, I waited to see if she would respond or not. Making her way up the stairs with my brother not to far behind, I went into my room as she showed up after.

"Yes?"

"I need your help." I sighed.

With possible outfits laid out on my bed, I didn't know what to wear later.

"Leila it's after nine in the morning."

"I know but I woke up with what I'm going to wear on my mind."

"I thought you didn't like him like that?" She walked around, looking at the options.

"I don't. I didn't. I mean, I don't know. Either way, this is going to be my first real date, I don't want to be looking anyhow."

"I understand." She nodded. "And in my honest opinion, either of these options would be great."

"But?"

"But." She said as she went into my closet.

Shuffling through a bit, I sat interacting with my brother till she came back out.

"This, is you." She smiled. "With these boots."

"I like."

"So it's a go?"

"Yup. Thank you mommy."

"You're most welcome princess. How come you didn't call Anna?"

"Because I haven't told her about it, nor Kareem."

"Seriously?"

Packing away my other clothes, we conversed about the situation.

"Yeah. I just want to go through this first before all the excitement, then I'll tell them, if there is anything to tell."

"Alright then." She chuckled as we left my room.

Heading downstairs, the fact that I was nervous about this whole date was a surprise to me. I was still at a lost as to why he would want to ask me out on a date but I didn't want to overthink anything.

"She's right here, hold on." I heard my mother say.

Turning to me, my dad was on her iPad.

"Morning dad."

"Morning princess. So about this date."

"Mhmm." I chewed piece of my apple.

"I just want you to be very cautious and careful okay."

"Okay."

"I don't want to have to end someone's child life over mine."

"Dad." I sighed.

"Understand where I'm coming from. Not saying he will do anything but you never know who is around and you're a beautiful girl."

"I got you."

"Good. Now tell me about this boy."

"I mean, what is there to tell." I shrugged. "They just moved here, his mom is mommy's boss, he's my literature partner and his sister and Siah are inseparable." I laughed.

"He looks decent?"

"I wouldn't have agreed on this date if he did."

"Very good. Does he drive? Will he be driving? What?"