Epilogue

CamilaOne Year and Ten Months Later

Taking a drag of my cigarette, I stare out at the view of the reservoir and the canyon surrounding it from my spot on our porch at the back of our house.

Speedy and I had the ranch of our dreams built pretty much straightaway, and we've called it home for the last eight months.

I look at Gucci and Donnie running around in the paddock, chasing a butterfly. The sun is shining, glinting off the pool.

It's fucking idyllic.

It's home.

I can't believe I got so lucky to have all of this.

But, most of all, to have Speedy. The girl that dreams are made of.

She's inside, getting dressed to go out for dinner. It's our two-year anniversary of the day she ran over my foot. We class that as the day we got together because that was the day that she came into my life and never left.

Oh, if you're wondering who Donnie is, he's our new pygmy goat. Speedy bought him for me for my birthday six months ago. He's all black with a white patch on his head. He's the cutest fucking thing, not that I'd ever admit that out loud.

I called him Don Corleone. I had to give him a cool name, right? But Speedy said it was too much of a mouthful to say every time. And she said Don sounded like an old man's name, so she nicknamed him Donnie, and it stuck.

Gucci loves her baby brother.

Probably about as much as I love mine. Harry's doing really well. When his residency finished, Presbyterian offered him a permanent job, which he took, even though I offered him money to set up his own private practice. I still offer the money on a regular basis, and he knocks me back every time.

Stubborn asshole.

But, one of these days, he'll say yes. I'm sure of it.

Harry is also heavily involved with the charity that he, Speedy, and I set up.

I came up with the idea for it a couple of days after I did the live video.

It went viral. My story was in every newspaper, and the video was playing on every chat show for weeks after. I received thousands of letters and emails of support. And almost every celebrity came out to support me. A lot of the messages I received were from people whose parents had gone to prison, and they had been left either in the foster system or with relatives. I heard stories that were very similar to Tate's and mine. Kids who'd ended up on the streets. People who had turned to prostitution to feed themselves and their siblings. People who'd had it worse than I had. And I knew I had to do something to help.

So, I came up with the idea of Healing the Breaks.

It's a nonprofit charity designed to help kids and young adults whose parents have gone to prison. Whether it's making sure they have somewhere to live or if they need counseling or support or even money to help get them started, we provide that for them.

Speedy does the day-to-day running of Healing the Breaks. She was running that and still working at the theater where she had gotten the job, but as the charity expanded, she decided she wanted to dedicate all of her time to that. Harry and I do most of the fundraising along with Dinah, Normani, and Shawn, who are heavily involved with the charity, too.

I'm still making movies.

I did the espionage thriller that I'd signed on to do before I met Speedy. I had half-expected the studio to pull me from the role. But, with the positive response I'd gotten from the fans and media after the video, I guess they would have looked bad if they'd pulled me.