Chapter 6

Lauren

Camila lives in West Hollywood, so we're actually heading back in the direction of where I left my car, which I'll need to pick up later.

She directs me to her apartment building, and she tells me to park her car in one of her two allotted spaces in the underground parking lot.

I help her out of the car, and she allows me to, which is a miracle in itself. She's been a lot more cordial since her apology earlier. We've still bickered, of course. It would be weird if we didn't.

I hand her her crutches, and we head for the elevator.

She's got a boot on, which goes up to just below her knee. It seems a little extreme to me for a broken foot, but I guess the doctor knows best.

And Harry wants her to keep her weight off her foot for the next few weeks, so no walking on it—hence, the crutches.

She looks kind of funny and not just because of the boot and crutches. But Harry had to cut off the leg of her pants, so the boot could be fitted. So, she has one leg of her pants cut above the knee while the other is still long.

We go inside the building and step into a huge lobby area to reach the elevators.

Camila lifts her hand in greeting at the older man behind the security desk. "Hey, Harold."

The man stands and comes around the desk. "Evening, Ms.Cabello. What on earth happened to your leg?"

"Oh, she broke my foot." She jerks her head at me.

For the love of God, I wish she'd stop telling people that! Even if it is true.

The security man's eyes briefly come to me, and then a smile appears on his face. "Did you deserve it though?" he asks Camila.

Camila laughs. "Yeah, probably."

"Thought so." Harry chuckles. "You need me to do anything for you?"

"No, I'm good. Speedy's going to be taking care of me for a few days. So, you'll see her coming and going."

"Shall I add her to the approved list?"

"Sure."

"My name's Lauren, not Speedy," I tell Harry.

"Lauren. Got it. Good to meet you, Miss Lauren."

"You, too." I smile. "And Lauren's just fine."

The elevator pings its arrival, and the doors open.

"Catch you later, Harold," Camila says.

"Bye, Harold."

Once we're inside the elevator, Camz puts a key in the control panel, turns it, and then presses the button for the penthouse.

Figures.

We ride up in silence, and I have a sudden bout of nerves.

I'm going to Camila Cabello's apartment.

Camila Cabello!

I keep forgetting just who I'm with when I'm arguing with her. She just seems like this normal, regular girl.

She is a normal girl, dummy.

Who just happens to be adored by millions.

Me included.

And, now, I'm heading up to her apartment.

It feels a little more than surreal.

And, when the elevator doors open into her apartment, I'm reminded once again of exactly just who she is.