Chapter 25

Pls vote? :D

Lauren

"Okay, fine. I was wrong," I pant, breathless.

"I'm sorry, what?" She cups her ear, like she didn't hear me, when the smug bastard heard exactly what I just said.

"I said, I was wrong. You clearly are superhuman when it comes to sex."

"Damn right I am, baby. And, wait, I need to get my camera, so I can have it on film—you admitting that you're wrong."

I give her the middle finger, and she bursts out laughing. A full-on belly laugh, and it's one of the best sounds I've ever heard.

And I can't help but laugh, too.

She reaches over, cupping my face, and brings my mouth to her. She softly kisses me. "You rock in the sack, too, Speedy. I've never had it as good as I do with you."

When I hear that, my stomach flips over, but I play it cool. "Well, that's 'cause I'm the best. And, if you put the best and the best together, you're going to get spectacular sex."

"Mind-blowing."

"Astro-fucking-nomical."

"Amen to that, baby."

She puts her fist up to me, and I bump it with my own.

I glance at the clock. "I should get up."

She pulls me into her arms and kisses me again. "Not yet."

"I really need to get showered and ready. My boss is a bit of a tyrant. I'm already on the clock, and she'll go apeshit if she knows she's paying me to have sex on the job."

She freezes cold. I've never seen anything like it.

And I instantly know I said the wrong thing.

"Camila?"

She pulls away, and then she's getting out of bed. She puts on her athletic shorts and gets a T-shirt from the drawer. She drags it on over her head, her movements rough and jerky.

I say her name again, getting to my knees. I hold the sheet around me.

She doesn't answer.

"Camila!"

She stops and slowly turns to face me.

"What's going on?"

"You wanted to get up. I'm getting up."

"You're acting weird."

"Maybe I just don't want to lie around in bed with you all fucking day. I've got shit to do."

"You were just asking me to stay in bed with you, so don't give me that crap. Just tell me what's wrong. Is it something I said? The joke I made about you paying me for sex?"

Her face hardens to stone. "I'm just done, Lauren."

"What?" My heart starts to pound in my chest.

"Are you deaf? I said, I'm done." She turns and walks to the door.

"Done with what, Camila?"

"You," she says without turning around.

Then, she walks out, slamming the door behind her.

Fighting tears, I scramble out of bed and throw some clothes on. Then, I'm flying out of her bedroom, straight after her.

I find her in the living room, sitting on the sofa. A lit cigarette in her hand.

I stand at the end of the sofa, staring down at her. "What the hell was that?"

"Go away, Lauren."

"No, I won't fucking go away. I want to know what just happened back there. Because I'm confused. One minute, we were fine, and then I made a joke—which, granted, wasn't my finest joke—but the next thing I know, everything has gone to shit. So, you're gonna have to explain this to me because I'm in the dark here."

Her head turns, ands he levels a dark look at me. "I don't have to explain shit to you."

"Yes, you do."

"No, I don't! I fucking told you, I can't do this anymore. End of."

"No, it's not end of just because you say so! There are two of us in this, Camz! Not just you."

She stubs her cigarette out and stands up. "But that's just it. It is just me in this. Because you and I are just fucking, Lauren. I might have said we're dating, but we're not. I fuck you because I can, and I tell you we're dating to keep you happy. And, now, I'm done fucking you, so you can go." She throws an arm in the direction of the door.

Pain ricochets through my chest, like she just shot me. But I hold myself together.

"You're a fucking asshole, Camila! And you're so full of shit that it's pouring out of your ears! Say what you want, but I know you're lying."

"No, you're just fucking deluded."

"Fuck you. The only one deluded around here is you. And I know this has to do with me saying something about you paying me for sex. Because I saw your reaction the second I said it. I know you're sensitive about it. I just don't know why. But I know this"—I jerk a hand between us—"has something to do with you not wanting to pay me a salary while we're sleeping together. So, you can try to tell me it's not that and that you're done with me, but I know it's all bullshit. And, if you give a shit about me, you'll tell me the truth. And if you don't...then I guess we really are done." I spin on my heel and walk away.

My heart is beating out of my chest, my pulse thrumming in my ears.

"Lauren."

I stop at the sound of my name, but I don't turn around.

She sighs loudly. "Jesus. Okay! You're fucking right! It is about that. About me being sensitive about the money-and-sex thing. I was being an asshole when I said I was done. I don't want you to go."

I turn around, but I fold my arms over my chest. I don't want her to think I've forgiven her yet. "And?"

"And what?"

"Why are you so sensitive about the money-and-sex thing?"

She looks away.

"Camz, you don't have to tell me anything. I wish you would trust me enough to want to, but you don't have to."

Her eyes snap back to mine. "It's not about not trusting you. I trust you more than I've ever trusted anyone."

"Then, what is it?"

Her eyes go to the floor. Her hands on her hips, she heaves out another sigh. "I don't want to change the way you look at me."

I drop my arms and take a step toward her. "Nothing could change the way I look at you."

She lets out a laugh, but it's hollow and humorless. "That's an easy statement to make when you don't know everything."

"So, tell me."

She shakes her head, like she's having an internal battle with herself.

"Camz..."

"I used to sleep with women for money."

"What?"

"And my parents are in prison for drug trafficking, racketeering, and murder."