Chapter 34

Camila

My apartment is quiet, apart from the low sound of the television in the living room, when I finally drag my ass out of bed.

I go into the kitchen to get a bottle of water.

It's clean. The mess I made is gone, like it never happened. The only signs it did are the missing stool under the breakfast bar and a dent from when I smashed it into the wall.

I walk over to the fridge and get a bottle of water out. Then, I go into the living room.

I see the back of Dinah's blond head as he sits on my sofa, watching basketball on my TV.

"You still here?"

She turns at the sound of my voice. "You look like shit."

"So sweet of you to say." I unscrew the cap off the water and drain the bottle halfway. "How long was I out for?"

"An hour."

"Is that all? Felt like longer."

"How are you doing?" she asks.

I shrug and walk over to the sofa. I put the water down on the coffee table, pick my smokes up from there, and sit my ass down on the sofa.

"What happened to Harry and Shawn?" I ask.

"Harry had to go to the hospital. He got called in. There was an emergency with one of his patients. He'll be back as soon as he can. Shawn's gone on a coffee run." She looks at me. "You were out of coffee. And you know how twitchy he gets without it."

"Laur—" I cut off.

"Lauren what?"

I drag a hand through my hair. "Nothing. She used to get the coffee; that's all."

She's silent a moment. I light up a smoke and stare at the TV.

"You know, you didn't have to stay," I say low.

I can feel her eyes on me, but I don't look at her.

"I know I didn't have to stay. I wanted to."

I take a drag of my cigarette and slowly blow the smoke out.

"When the shit hit the fan with Hailee and Zendaya, who was the first person to call me? You. Hell, we weren't even close back then. We just knew each other through work. But you were the first to call. You got my ass out of the house. Sure, you took me out and got me trashed, but you were there. The very fucking least I can do for you right now is be here when you need me."

"I'm fine."

"Yeah, you look it. Oh, and I cleaned up the glass from earlier, so you know."

The bottle I smashed earlier. Shit.

"Thanks," I mutter.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"You mean, me being an ex-hooker?"

I stare at her, wanting to make her uncomfortable so that she won't push the conversation, but the fucker steadily stares back at me.

I look away. "No. I don't want to talk about it."

"And what about Lauren?"

"What about her?" I glare at her.

"Do you want to talk about her?"

"No."

Her silence weighs heavy for a moment.

"Normani's with her. They're at the Four Seasons. Lauren stayed there last night. Normani flew in with me this morning and went straight there to see her."