Forty Eight: Half Elf Expectations

I spent a bit more of my midday with Kalor and the council. I learned that they do not have any technical power in Eidelhein, as the city is set up to rule itself through a set of elected representatives in each district, but the elves themselves do advise those officials. It seemed to me that the elves still held quite a bit of sway though, and their political system was simply a complicated way to say that the elves weren't in charge when really they probably were. Still, I liked most of them and they didn't seem ready to abuse their power, with the exception of Halduin and possibly Neuldor.

When the elves were finally done with my company and had decided to settle in to a discussion of the defense of Eidelhein, they let me leave and called in Teyber. I was glad to trade places with the captain. I was getting a headache from all the new information, and I was eager to see Schula and Nassir. 

As I entered Kalor's halls, my stomach growled loudly at the lack of midday meal. I popped my head in the common area we had eaten in before in the hopes that I would find not only Schula and Nassir, but also food. The only one there, however, was Nassir.

"Hello, Wren," he greeted me. "How was your meeting with the council?"

"Well," I said. "They have agreed to our presence in Eidelhein. I will need to speak to Kalor later to find out exactly what he told the others to gain us their favor, but at least we can stay here. Unfortunately, they've given you and Schula a stipulation of a guard if you leave Kalor's halls."

"We have been told," Nassir said. "Schula is in her room, putting on her dress from Kalor. I believe she would like to get out of the keep with you."

I smiled and turned to the doorway, looking at Schula's room. "That sounds nice. Nassir, would you like to come with us?"

"No, thank you," Nassir said. "I think I will stay here and contemplate the things we have found in the books."

A little wave of guilt washed over me. I should be studying my lessons or researching the books of past witches too, not going out to explore the city. I opened my mouth to change my mind, when Nassir placed a hand on my shoulder. 

"Go," he said. "Schula has her reasons for wanting to see Eidelhein, and since I can't see the same way you two can, I will stay here. But, Wren, I want you to consider something. If you put yourself among these people, your people, you could make your words worth something. Make them take your warnings of DuVarick seriously. Perhaps even convince them to be your allies. Or, if all else fails us in our quest to fix the barriers and return home, perhaps it can simply ensure you have a place to flee to."

"Nassir..."

"Wren! You're back." Schula closed the door to her room and came walking over to us in a soft silver dress that flowed around her without being too tight anywhere. It was lovely on her. "I heard we can finally leave, do you want to go see the town? I have to know who made this dress. It's perfect."

Nassir gave my shoulder one gentle squeeze before letting his hand fall away. "Think about what I said, and go. A couple hours away won't hurt anything."

I nodded and leaned into him with a big hug. "I'll do what I can."

"It is too broken of a bridge to repair what has happened between the courts and the elves," he whispered in my ear. "But you, our little bird, might be able to start the healing process, however slow."

"What are you two going on about?" Schula asked, putting her hands on her hips.

"We are taking bets on how much new clothing you will bring back," Nassir said with a wink. 

I laughed and Schula tried to look annoyed, but it only lasted a moment before she began laughing too. 

"Okay, fine. I might have set a few things out to try to bargain with. I don't really want to offer them coins from the Wyldes... but I can bring a few of those with me in case they don't care. I also have just a little bit of my jewelry that I was wearing down here. I have a couple scarves I bargained for with the desert tribes too."