Forty Three: Decisions

The rain fell heavy enough that I could hear it, even from my room in the interior of the fort. I sat on my bed, peeling off the damp clothes I was wearing while Schula unfolded something new to wear that she had gotten from Teyber. 

"We're going to have to decide what to say soon," Schula said. "When Kalor is done with this Halduin, we need to sit down and give him all the facts. He's our best insight into this collection of elves and what they will say about our presence here after they know about... well, everything."

I sighed and dropped my damp shirt on the floor. "I know. It feels like we've talked about so much but... not about some of the important things. You know, I don't think our triquetram has come up yet. And he doesn't know about any of my time in the Wyldes."

I dropped the last of my clothing and took the soft green fabric from Schula's arms. Holding it up, I looked for how to slip the dress over my head. 

"What happens if we succeed in warning them of the danger? That DuVarick knows an elf survived, and had a child with Lark?" Schula asked quietly.

I bit my lower lip. I had come here for answers and to warn the elves, and that hadn't changed. But in the few hours I've gotten to know my father... was I ready to leave him again and continue our path to the Wyldes? 

"I still haven't found the answers for the barrier yet. I haven't looked through much of the books while we were traveling."

Schula nodded. "I guess we could stay and try to find that answer, as long as we're welcome of course. It might not hurt to have someone old enough to remember the barrier's construction either. Maybe one of the elves is old enough?"

"If not one of the elves, I guess someone in the Wyldes might know. I'll admit, I'm really hoping the news of you and the elves hasn't sent Baeleon into too much of a rage. If it has, perhaps he has calmed down by now. Enough to work with us to fix the problem, anyway."

I pulled the dress down in place and smoothed the skirts out. It was very soft, I had no idea what it was made from. And the color would have me blending in with the rest of the people from Eidelhein. 

"It's all such a mess, isn't it?" I sighed. "My biggest fear is that we get back there and I can't fix the barrier and King Baeleon won't let me back in Thananthol." 

"Hey," Schula said. "I'll be with you, no matter what. And yes, Baeleon was not happy with the elves when they opposed the fae courts, but it's been centuries. Maybe he'll understand now. Besides, you didn't know the elves until now. None of this was your fault."

"What was the war even about?" I asked. "Cosimo told me about everything on the mural in the Library of Autumn but..."

"Ugh, Cosimo. Did he try to touch you anywhere inappropriate?" Schula groaned.

"No," I answered. "Does he do that?"

"He's a Satyr. They have a weakness. I wonder why he didn't... oh." Schula grinned. "You were there with Thain, that's right. Nevermind."

I blushed, fiddling with the pendant under my dress absently. "What does that mean?" I asked. 

"He really likes you, you know," Schula said, ignoring my question. "He hasn't shown much interest in courting since I've known him, but he took an immediate interest in you. At first we all thought he was just trying to look after a youngling, but you don't need looking after anymore, and I think he was confused for a while."

I didn't have an answer for that. I took the comb off my dressing table, but Schula grabbed it out of my hand and sat behind me on the bed to tame my hair for me.