Twenty Eight: A Bath in the Valley

My lessons went on much the same every day. I would get up before sunrise, usually with Puko's assistance. Then I would go to Gilly's cabin and we would do some morning chores such as feeding the animals or working the garden. With that out of the way, I would drink the mixture I had made on my first day, and we would eat breakfast before I sat down to copy another recipe. After that I would try to brew it. Some days I would master two or three recipes. Some days it was none.

I sat at the table in Mila's cabin well after sunset. Puko slept in my lap while I tried to neatly add to the notes in my book by candlelight. I yawned as I finished a line, and put my charcoal stick down.

The weather in the valley was getting warmer during the days now. The month was passing and I was loosing time. Time to master the art of brewing magic. Time to spend with Mila before I had to continue on. Time to find out how to fix the barriers, or even why they were failing in the first place.

I groaned and laid my head down on the table.

"Wren," Schula whispered from the bed. "Get some sleep. You're going to make a mistake in the book and get upset."

I closed the book gently. I traced a finger along the delicate copper vines that climbed up the front cover with a sigh. I looked down at where Nassir was trying to sleep in front of the fireplace and back up at Schula. She stretched and sat up, pointing to the door. I nodded.

I set Puko down gently at the foot of the bed where he usually slept and followed Schula outside.

I followed her up the slope and to a spring that flowed out of one of the caves nearby. It pooled into a pond before spilling into the valley below.

"If we're going to stay up talking, I'm taking a bath." Schula yawned and pulled off her boots.

"In the middle of the night?" I asked.

"Well you're not here to warm the water in the middle of the day," she teased.

I laughed and started removing my own boots while Schula tossed her tunic aside and climbed in the water.

"It's cold," she complained. "Warm it up please!"

"I'm coming, hold on." I smiled as I slipped in with her, bringing out enough fire to heat the pool. I took off everything but my pendant. That, I never removed. Schula sighed and laid her head back.

"I don't know why you're even complaining about the cold," I said. "You're made of ice magic."

"It doesn't mean I like cold baths," Schula answered. "I don't have to be harmed by the cold to enjoy a hot bath, Wren. I kept you cool in the desert, you keep me warm in the bath!"

I splashed a few drops her way and she giggled.

"I like seeing you smile," Schula said softly. "You've been very hard on yourself since we left the Wyldes."

"I suppose so. I just... I feel like I need to make it right."

"Not on your own you don't," she scolded.

I chose to ignore that and look up at the night sky instead .

"Do you miss it?" I asked. "The Wyldes."

Schula hummed and tilted her head.

"Hmm. I miss the feeling in the air. The... it's like..." She scrunched her nose in thought. "The Wyldes is like living in a bubble of magic that you belong to. It feels right, but you don't even notice it until you leave it."

"We'll get back there," I said. "We'll figure out how to fix the barriers, and then we'll..."

"Kill DuVarick?" Schula finished.