Twenty Five: Different Magics

Schula and Nassir were up when we got back. They sat at the little table and were talking. I could hear it all as we approached the cottage, but I'm sure Mila couldn't. They were discussing the witches.

"I trust Wren and I trust Mila but I don't know what to make of the rest of them," Schula said. "We don't exactly have a friendly history."

"I was there for that history." Nassir chuckled darkly. "There were wrongs done from both sides. Don't forget about the lifespan of a witch though. It may be longer than humans but it's nothing like ours. We aren't dealing with the same witches from a thousand or so  years ago."

"That's true." Schula sighed and I heard footsteps.

Mila and I were near the cottage now. I adjusted the jug of milk in my arms. It wasn't heavy, certainly not too heavy for a fae, but it was awkward to hold. We were barely at the front porch when the door was pulled open from the inside. 

"Good, you're awake. You can take that bucket and fill it at the well." Mila walked past a slightly shocked Schula and I hid a grin. Mila had wasted no time in treating her just like anyone else. Make yourself useful or get out. I followed her inside and set the jug of milk on the table. I noticed Schula really did grab the bucket and she left with a smirk. I'm glad Mila amused her more than irked her. The old witch could rub some the wrong way.

"Come help with the candles, child." Mila was over the fireplace mantle and lighting them one by one. I stared when I watched the dancing flames lick around her fingers as she touched each wick to spur it aflame. These were no ordinary flickers of fire. They were each a different color.

Mila turned to look at me a moment before I hurried to her side. She didn't ask for my help with no reason, so I waited and listened.

"These are each one coated with different oils for different spells. Candle casting is old, but reliable. It's something you could potentially do, and be asked to perform." Mila pointed to a tall, narrow candle. "Light that one."

I held up my hand and willed fire to life in it. It wasn't hard to apply the fire to the wick, and it danced to life as vibrant and green as the fireplace did before.

"That is a spell against eavesdropping," Mila said. 

"The fireplace earlier, was it the same spell?" I asked.

Mila's mouth held a ghost of a smile as she nodded. "Yes, although it was applied differently than with the candles. Now, light this one."

She pointed and one by one I lit the rest of the candles on the mantle. By the time I was done I was surprised to find myself short of breath.

"That's enough for now." Mila put her bony hand over mine. In the mean time, Schula had returned with the bucket of water and Mila gave her attention to the white fae.

"Where would you like your water?" Schula asked.

"Here, in the cookware." Mila pointed to the large pot in the fireplace and Schula dumped it in. With a gnarled finger, Mila pointed to a basket of vegetables by the door. Carrots, turnips, potatoes, onions, and some mushrooms she had found somewhere. Likely in the nearby caves. I took the hint and began scraping them into the pot since they were already peeled. 

"Not the mushrooms, those go last or they'll be mush by the time the turnips cook," Mila said. She also pulled several spices from jars on the shelf and began putting handfuls in as the water began to heat. Then she tottered over to the little table.

"You two are certain to have questions," Mila said as she sat on her chair with a grunt. "Go on. Ask then."

Nassir, who had largely been watching in quiet amusement, cleared his throat from where he sat on the bed. "What is it you would expect of us while Wren is undergoing her assessment and learning?"