Twenty: Leaving the Sands

The Khusuru did two things well. They ate, and they danced.

For five days the thrumming of the drums and the dancing of the people filled me with an energy that was more than just my own. It was the life of the desert people, and for those five short days it flowed through me too.

As we celebrated, more people showed up. The first tribe that came simply began setting up their tents as a continuation of the Khusuru ones. Their tents may have been decorated with different symbols and new colors, but they were happy to merge with the celebration. They quickly brought food and new music and their shaman to the center fire. Somewhere a goat was cleaned and put on a spit to roast. I could smell baking bread too, and hear the laughter and songs of the children.

And more people came. After the first tribe joined onto the Khusuru village so did the next tribe, and the next. Soon we had a veritable city of tents and drums and cooking food.

No longer was there a question of hiding ourselves either. Unlike the people of Sulls, the desert people accepted us as aoyi'ka. Not something to be weary of, but something that was just another part of the world around them. Schula was happy with it, she could stop disguising herself and she could do one of her favorite things. Dance.

The drums thrummed and Schula danced with anyone who was willing. At some point she was given a scarf much like the one I received from the Khusuru weaver before we left to see the stone. She also had beaded bracelets on her wrists that I hadn't seen before, but knowing Schula she was overjoyed to gain new and interesting jewelry.

But the dancing, it was beautiful and energetic. It was wild and free of form, unlike most of the dancing I had seen in Thanantholl but Schula jumped into the new motion with abandon. I tried it some, but it wasn't for me and I happily sat out just to watch her enjoy herself.

Nassir managed to surround himself with the elders from every tribe. They were happy to answer his prodding questions about their history and culture, and he was happy to give them interested and excited responses. He was enjoying himself immensely. Nassir's wisdom and curiosity were wasted in that dark cave, he should have been nothing less than a royal adviser or a highly respected scholar. I was blessed to know him, and I was going to make great use of his advice for as long as he would give it to me.

I found myself sitting with Daai and the other shamen for most of the festivities. They were amazing storytellers, and we kept being brought food which I didn't argue with. Puko spent most of his time with me, basking in the attention of the curious shamen and being stuffed full of treats like dried fruits and strips of meat. Spoiled bird.

Kai was less in the spotlight than the aoyi'ka were, but he was mostly absorbed into the people. A few still looked to him with weary eyes, but plenty more respected the shaman's decision. As each new shaman arrived, they reinforced Daai's command with their own, agreeing that his deeds deserved to be honored. I spotted Kai several times over the three days we stayed in the desert. He was laughing, eating, talking, playing games with little painted stones in bowls. He was enjoying himself. Sometimes he would stay with the shamen, but I could tell he was nervous. The people revered them, it wasn't a wonder that it would be hard to stay in their presence for long. For me they were no different than spending time with Mila and the occasional witch who would come to visit her.

It was the Sixth evening, when the sun was sinking low and the moon was just considering peeking over the horizon, when I felt the urge to go. It wasn't strong, it wasn't forceful. Just a feeling that it was time.

I lay on the same kind of bedding I had slept on before. A raised stretched canvas that was suspended a hand width over the sand by poles at each corner I didn't sleep the first day, I slept little the second day, and the days after that I had slept for a full passing of the daylight. I yawned, scratching Puko's head as I contemplated the next leg of our journey, when next to me Schula stirred in her own bed.